truck won't start on a jobsite

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
soooo long hard (and hot day)
5:30 go to fire her up to go home and it turns over really slowly....
did the same thing this morn but I was in a hurry and figured it was just the batteries going weak and running down the highway would fix it.

checked batteries, 12.6 volts, same at selenoid (even had a spare one i swapped out just to check).
Power to the starter, but it doesn't turn.
all accesories run, glowplugs are pluggin away but not cranking.

first try it turned over but really slowly. after that just the click of contact and no engine movement at all.

reckon it just the starter? I'll probably go the the jobsite tommorow in the lil truck and pull the starter off on lunch. but any other suggestions are welcome.

thanks drew

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. I had the same problems.. the replaced the started AND batteries (which were too small). Fixed the problem.

My battery voltage is about 13.6V, a year old. Yours sound like they're pretty close so I'll assume they're not the problem. I'd go with a starter--do you have 144,000 miles on the original?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
hard to say.... it's a 16 year old truck, so could have been replaced many years ago or not.

I've only had the truck since april, maybe 3,500miles on it. Just breaking it in and finding all the things that got let go by the previous owner.

dp

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really could be as simple as just dirty battery terminals. I had the same problems for a while and if I cleaned the termiknals it would usually start right up

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i considered that, but than why would i be getting the same voltage at the battery/selenoid/starter terminals?

and if the battery connection was bad the glowplugs/radio/etc wouldn't work either.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd try checking the voltage at the battery and at the starter when you crank it (might need a helper for that). If the voltage is much lower at the starter than it is at the battery, you might have a contact or cable problem. Be a shame to mount a new starter without being sure that is what it is.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
pulled it anyway.
tested and it was dead. It looked like the original.

will throw it on tommorow if it doesn't rain too hard.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
These old trucks need good batteries and starter to start or no go. Old batteries kill a starter fast if they are over 4 years old replace them. When replacing them gotta do it in pairs they must be a equal match. The group 65s should have around 900-1100 cranking amps each.

Keeping good batteries is better than replacing the $300 plus starter and the rotten third bolt that will make you curse LOL

Its really surprising the old IDIs need 2 batteries to crank the engine over and the so called mighty ISB only needs one ;Really

We all know its because the IDIs have 21:1 compression takes alot of grunt to spin it over.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
good call.. I'll have to check/replace batteries next.

starter was the problem btw, cranks up ALOT better.
*shrugs* first diesel... I didn't know what to expect :) I just thought it was sluggish getting going.

ahhh, still in the newly purchased old truck parts replacement period, soon most of the stuff that can break in 16years will be replaced