Truck wont start and isn't getting fuel

78fordf150

Reaction score
okay truck was running great then i touched the fuel water seperator thinking it was routed on the re-turn lines too the tank. so i fired it back up ran great and then died so i tryed bleeding the hole system but and not getting and fuel from the bleeder valve on the fuel filter.or out of the 2 lines where the serporator was hooked up or fuel from the line going into the fuel filter block (before the filter)

what could it be bad lift pump??

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
are you cranking the engine with the bleeder pressed in? the only way to move fuel is cranking (or an electric pump) and if your not moving fuel (cranking) when you press the bleed valve then your letting air in.

also what year is your rig? the 6.9 fuel/water seperator on the firewall is notorious for not resealing and thereby letting air in and causing your fuel pump to draw air (less resistance) the 7.3 is better but I have still seen a few leak.

punk

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I have an idea what the problem is, but this assumes it's a 6.9 that still has the factory water sep. If so, your problem is common. This thing often will not reseal right after you pull that ring to drain it. It's made by Stanadyne and mounted to the firewall in the brake booster area. Some of these guys have devised fixes to help it reseal again once you pull that ring. The best solution is to bypass it and get an aftermarket water sep that seals better or get a later 7.3 filter head which integrates the water sep and fuel filter altogether and seals much better.

78fordf150

Reaction score
i was cranking with the bleeder vavle compleatly removed.and the wATER serporator i have also removed (broke a part ) and just connected the 2 hoses togeather

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
well if you had it completely out then a lot of cranking will get fuel up to the filter and then when you stop the fuel will "run down hill" back down the fuel line and you will have to start the whole process over. you need to start cranking, then hold the shrader in while cranking and once you see fuel release the shrader before you stop cranking.

punk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online