Truck won't shut off

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove the truck last night and had no issues. Got in it this morning to go to work and my RABS light was on even with the key off. Didn't think much of it but when I turned the key on my glow plug light didnt come on. Either way truck started right up and ran fine all the way to work. When I got here turned the key off, the radio qiut but RABS light stayed on and the truck stayed running. I just put it in high gear and killed it.
Seems like and ignition switch problem, any thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im gonna try that here in a little bit when I get a free minute. Its the wire closest to the front of the truck correct?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes. That power to the pump is the front large connector. Looks at both of them closely. You will see that you can't install them on the wrong pump connection. finally Ford did something kind of right...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You better disconnect both batteries until you inspect the key switch. You have a hot wire dead short someplace.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the batterys disconnected, I did that after I killed the truck this morning at work

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't called myself a backyard mechanic either, whether its the fss acting up or the ingnition switch in the column its gonna go to my mechanic I just wanna be able to point him in the right direction

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It don't take much to just look at the switch to see if there is any bare wires touching each other. Could be you might get into a dangerous situation driving it.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I unhooked the fss and it kills the truck so that is functioning properly. But as soon as you hook the batteries up it kicks the glow plugs on just like you turned the key on. But the key is off and out of the ignition.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just did the headlight mod right? I would look hard at all of that. You may have disturbed something.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked over that wiring so many times Idk what I could've done there too make this happen. Cuz I drove the truck once and everything seemed fine. But then the next day it when this problem arose

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would pull the headlight fuses ( factory and new ones) and see if you still have a problem. It only takes like 7 V to run the fss. You may have a short somewhere. If it's not the headlights, I would just keep unhooking things until it quits. Not much other way to isolate a problem like that. It shuts off if you pull the wire off the IP right?

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya pull the ip wire and it shuts down. I'll try pulling the fuses and see if that makes a difference. I really think it's in the ignition switch. It kind of already had a problem before that. If I didn't turn the key all the way to the lock position the blower motor would stay running.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle