Truck runs like crap when hot and mpg's suck

DZL JIM

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
And actually, I work in an chain shop for one of the more well known rubber manufacturers. We'll work on most anything up to 1-ton series, including railroad applications. I might be putting a timing belt on a Geo Metro one day, and changing an injector pump on a GM 6.5L the next.

My Bad. It sounded like you worked in a Ford Dealership.
I know Ford techs get upset when guys slam the stealerships online...

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used to work for ford as a tech, i remember one day a guy brought his trk(f150) in and told us that when he took it in to have it inspected that the ball joints had play and made the trk fail state inspection. the service writer told me since the trk was under warranty install grease fittings to the ball joints, fill them up with grease and put a sticker on it. i said if its under warranty why dont we just replace the ball joints? he gave me a smartass answer and i desided to start looking elsewhere for employment. no i didnt quit at that moment but i wanted to. i did what i was told and the next day the guy was in there complaining that we didnt fix his trk. i know we didnt put ball joints in that trk and he was pissed about it(i would be too) but i couldnt do anything about it. i dont like the dealerships any more then anybody else.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having close to the same issue with the boss's dad's truck. It has a rough idle and run condition. I ran a buzz test and cylinder contribution test and both passed. I'm kinda thinking it may have a leaking o-ring in the fuel system. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as this truck is making me look stupid. It's a 95 PS by the way.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
I'm having close to the same issue with the boss's dad's truck. It has a rough idle and run condition. I ran a buzz test and cylinder contribution test and both passed. I'm kinda thinking it may have a leaking o-ring in the fuel system. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as this truck is making me look stupid. It's a 95 PS by the way.

would be a good guess..

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id lean towards the the IPR valve o-rings myself.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity,
what would make you think to start there without knowing IPR pressure?
Rough idle when warm is a classic sign of IPR oring (or dirty gummed up valve) failure on these things. Injector o-ring should lead towards a very black fuel filter. Obviously one would pop to cannister lid to check that first.