Truck doesn't start.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly am not sure, I was under the impression that what you and Julio did confirmed the fuel shutoff solenoid was bad. I did find my bag of parts, that's the good news, the bad news is that the shop that rejected it as a core tore everything and I do mean everything apart. On the other hand there are only a few parts in the governor cover, they do happen to be extremely critical. I could send them along and you could probably use your current cover as a guide to replace what you want to. Also it looks like my rubber washers on the cover are eroded badly or missing as yours are. Hey I'll just put it back on the shelf for a rainy day if you think your problem lies elsewhere. I'm really not an expert with these pumps, though I'd like to learn, so I'm a bit confused myself. Just let me know. If it helps, I also have a shop manual that someone posted up here a couple weeks back that might help you guys. I'd be glad to email it along. Again, I can't really help much once we're inside the pump, just haven't been brave enough to tackle it. I have experienced runaway once, and am just thankful to still have an engine. I can tell you it is really every bit as scary as everyone says. On the other hand if you follow the advice here that's not very likely to happen to you and if it does you can stop it if you can kill the air or fuel supply in a hurry. I panicked and only got it shutoff when I cut the fuel line!

amishtrucker

Reaction score
JD, thanks again for the followup, keep the cover handy, not sure, may need it later. Here is an update. I cleaned out the metering valve pivot and soaked the compartment in Stanadyne. This afternoon, I reinstalled everything myself and it started up (first time in a long time), took a 5 miles test drive and to purge air if there was any. Tomorrow, when engine is cold will be the first test.

There MAY be additional problems, air intrusion, something worn out, etc. But, things are on the mend. We think that the mechanism that springs back when the solenoid is off, MAY BE is not allowing the valve to open and let in fuel? It was difficult to move before. ANY ADVICE???

Yes! Please do email me your shop manual! That would be really appreciated! How can I get you my email?

Last edited:

amishtrucker

Reaction score
Put pump back together, started right up last night. Drove 5 miles to purge any air and test drive. Same; no hesitation, no miss. Parked and let cool off overnight.

Tried to start this morning. Same. cranks, rattles / fires and tries to start. No start after 3 crankings.

Maybe metering valve still difficult, or stuck? Maybe air intrusion. Will put clear lines on the return side again and remove the IP cover and check/loosen up the mechanisms again.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I think you solved 1 out of 2 problems. I think you solved your fuel problem but still have an electric issue with the glow plugs. They should stay on 7-10 seconds under these conditions(I'm assuming you're in FL too). You can send me a private message with your email. I don't blame you for not wanting to post it publicly. I wonder if the WVO is responsible for your metering valve problems? I have no idea about the cold start issue other than the glow plugs.

amishtrucker

Reaction score
i have found 2 problems.
1. the lever that works the 'metering valve' on the IP is sticky, and when the fuel shutoff solenoid springs off, the valve is not able to open due to the stickiness of the lever.
2. air in the system. i have a clear return line #1 from the IP and while running it is full of air, not sure where it is coming from?

amishtrucker

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a good shop manual for my truck and engine? i have a chilton's for f250 (not too much on diesel) and a haynes diesel manual (too generic, for both chevy and ford).

both have been totally useless for anything i need! thanks in advance.

also, my problem is purely a stuck metering valve in the IP. anyone know how to unstick it? used carb cleaner, got worse, tried pb blaster, and lots of wd40. still not springing back freely on its own.

amishtrucker

Reaction score
Incredible news! For some reason, the truck starts perfectly, no waiting, no cranking, just starts right up! Didn't do anything to the IP except the lubricants and antiseize last week. I just don't get it, but I have posted that I have a tranny problem, in the thread can't shift into 3rd gear help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin