Trouble Starting (proably GP)

Meta6981

Reaction score
Hello all, its been a while since i have posted. But starting yesterday my car has been a bear to start after sitting for more than 8 hrs or so. Here is what happened, I was getting ready to run to work and i turn the key to preignite and no GP lights came on. So i said ok well maybe we'll try to light her off like that. Crank the engine for about 15 seconds or so lots of smoke no ignition though, turned the key back and tried again, still no luck. Finally about the 5th time she finally lit off with a huge cloud of smoke probably the most smoke on a start up.

Get going head off to work and parked her for 8 hours. I came out after my shift went to preignition again no GP light still waited about 20 seconds before trying to crank her, cranked it for maybe 10 seconds, no lite off. reset the key and this time i have GP like for about 4 sec let it sit in preigniteion for maybe 15 seconds more then cranked it and it fired up, still a little more smokey than usual.

This morning car sat overnight again came out to go to school got in, key to pre ignite no GP like let sit for about 15 sec or so cranked it lots of smoke again no fire, take two GP light on for about 5 sec cranked it and fired.

Thoughts? comments? Ideas? :dunno

BTW this is all on my daily driver the 81' 300SD with almost 300k miles never had had any starting problems before.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
^what he said...
On my benz, I have had fuses simply age and fail. They don't blow.. they just get corroded and crack. Replace all those old exposed fuses with newer ones.

tgatch

Reaction score
Check the Glow plug relay fuse. Don't just look at it, pull it out. There are times it looks just fine, but when you pull it out, it comes out in two pieces.

Meta6981

Reaction score
Update: Still have not been able to get under the hood was in a wedding and also had to work. So three for fuses and upon talking to Warden he thinks its the GP. but will definitely check the fuse panels. well off to work.

Meta6981

Reaction score
So got to pop the hood, all the fuses looked good and also my brother was over and said he thinks it is the Glow plug relay since the GP's were recently replaced. we'll see how it goes