trouble finding 38 gallon rear tank

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
you wouldn't want one dyoung.you like going fast.:D
that 260+ lbs of fuel (thats just @ 7 lbs per gallon-seems some claim diesel can reach 7.5 lbs per gallon via a quick search.) on her ars end,would hurt your take off speed.;Sweet
remember,shedding weight is like adding hp.

however filling that sucker up in snow country would really help get some traction.its in the perfect spot for it,right behind the rear axle.

yea i know alot more weight, but you didnt answer my question, what would i do for a fuel sending unit and a gauge?

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine I did the bronco tank swap, and after a bit of creative modification am using the bronco sender etc....and it actually reads accurate....not sure what you would do for a 38, but I am happy with the ~33 I got....and the weight does help quite a bit for traction when running empty

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
On mine I did the bronco tank swap, and after a bit of creative modification am using the bronco sender etc....and it actually reads accurate....not sure what you would do for a 38, but I am happy with the ~33 I got....and the weight does help quite a bit for traction when running empty

You have to modify your own pickup, I just bought a 38 gal tank and Ron in installing it as we type,.. He sent me this pic of what the sender will look like after it is modded:

Attachments

• fuel tank pickup.jpg
    fuel tank pickup.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 165

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
You have to modify your own pickup, I just bought a 38 gal tank and Ron in installing it as we type,.. He sent me this pic of what the sender will look like after it is modded:

Well that was fun. cookoo

The pic I sent Darrin is how the pickup mod started but is not how it finished to get the pickup positioned properly in the bottom of the tank.

I can't post pics from my phone here for some reason otherwise I'd post the final look.

The upgrade isn't bolt in if you have a hitch and skid plates as things are too close for comfort and the hitch has to come off to install the Bronco tank and the skid plates have to be narrowed just a smidgen to clear the hitch. Other than that, grab a Benjamin to fill that sucker up.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Check Autopartsdeal.com. They have the 38 gallon tanks for $161 shipped. Along with new filler necks, senders, and straps for round $20 each.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i had to make my own sening unit for mine. it my wvo tank and they give you copper extensions. well, copper and wvo make green sludge. so i just fabbed up my own and extended the float piece with a pice of brake line. well in theory it worked but the gauge isnt accurate. it never goes to full and i hit empty with about 200 miles left to travel. i never thought about a bronco unit, ill give that a shot this time! btw, it rides much better with the full rear tank, i can tell when its empty! im looking at adding around 100 gallons of aux fuel storage too. my aim is to travel from Pa to Ga and back for free!!

Jag6423

Reaction score
You can find a fuel tank and sending unit off of a old ford coachmen motor home the prongs have a different layout but may be able to splice motor home wires to your pickup I'm working on my 1985 f150 to do the swap

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Ron, The way the sending unit is modified, wont it read full for a real long time?
John

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ron, The way the sending unit is modified, wont it read full for a real long time?
John
John, yeah that's the only downfall to the mod as the kit didn't account for the extensions. Cannibalizing a sender from a gasser Bronco at the junkyard will get ya a different float arm to show a more accurate upper fuel level.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I was seeing that too Ron... Seems like your mods will keep the tank on full for about 80% till the float can actually drop down. Whay can't you add an extension to the float arm. Not enough room in the tank for that???

Jag6423

Reaction score
Just got my 38 gallon tank today going to start the project this weekend kit said it didn't come with anything but when I opened it up had new seal for sending unit plus lock for it plus strap extensions

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
Wow!! $78???!!! Thats amazing... now whats the diff between a 92 and an 89?? I thought they were the same. If itll work im grabbing one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online