trouble finding 38 gallon rear tank

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know what will be great about putting a 38 gal tank on my truck, i am doing it in conjunction with fixing the pickup tubes so i am really adding about 35 gals of realized capacity. I can only fit about 25-26 gals in both of my tanks now because of the fuel that is left over. This is gonna be sweet. I wonder how long it will take me to use all of that fuel with normal use.....

Jag6423

Reaction score
Looks like to me the only differences in the tank is the depth I ordered it for my 1985 and it says 87-89 but looks like the tank works for many other years (including your truck 89blue7.3) now if only I can find a damn sending unit for my truck that actually is for the 38gallon tank and is cheap I'd be set

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
I dontthink youll find a sending unit specifically for the 38 gallontank. I think u need to add extensions to your existing sending unit. A bronco one might get u close but its only a 33 gallon tank. Screw it im ordering it. I paid twice that for the one in Blue! Blind driver we r thinking they will work in our newer trucks too.

Jag6423

Reaction score
I had found one that one of the gas tank manufacturers made but lost the website that I found it on and I've been looking for it since...the one in my original tank was hanging by a thread plus it was completely rusted...the 1992 has the same length and width as the 1987-1989 plus the openings are the same from what I can see and the opening for the sending unit is the same size from the websites info they had

Jag6423

Reaction score
Looks like the e150 sending unit is a close swap too...still looking for a ford with same original depth as the new 38gallon tank it almost looks like ford has a 38gallon tank in the motor home so I'm trying to see if they have a sending unit for it will let you know what I find out going to call ford dealer to see what there parts department says

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If one was to order a 33 gal tank meant for a bronco, then why wouldnt the matching sending unit n pick up lines etc. work with a diesel?

Does anyone make a bigger front tank by chance?

Jag6423

Reaction score
All I know is its not recommended using the metal tank for diesel trucks so maybe something used in the materials that aren't good for diesel trucks...?

Jag6423

Reaction score
They make a 19 gallon side tank instead of the 16 gallon tank seems like more money and time wasted for 3 extra gallons unless you need to change out the old tank...

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
I havent ordered it yet but will. I really wish i could find a superduty tank to go along with it. Id love to have 76 gallons all located UNDER the bed! I have an extra new factory 19 gallon front tank ive thought about rerouting the exhaust and mounting it on the passenger side then T ing the feed and return lines together.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They make a 19 gallon side tank instead of the 16 gallon tank seems like more money and time wasted for 3 extra gallons unless you need to change out the old tank...

One is short box reg cab...= 16 gallon...the other is ext or cc or reg cab long box = 19 gallon...just saying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online