Treadwright Retread Failure at 75 MPH

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Glad no one was hurt, and damage to the truck was minimal.
For those of you that blame this solely on being a retread, ****** tires blow out as well, attached is a picture of a ****** Cooper that was on the rear of an 01 Ford Taurus, had less than 3,000 miles on it and had been on the car for less than 3 months (my dad doesn't drive much).
You must be registered for see images attach

Thats a Cooper CS4 Touring. VERY HIGH FAILURE RATE. If you would like, i can give you the contact info for my friend who works for US Forensics that was hired by State Farm that is looking into these tires for them.

I used to sell cooper passenger tires back when they had the lifeliner touring which was a pretty decent tire. I'd run a chinese tire before i run a CS4.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
ANY steel belted radial can do that with no warning and for no reason.

Basically what I was trying to get someone to say, for some reason if I say anything like that no one believes me, must be because I'm 22.
Everything heavy runs on bias ply. Heavy equipment, quads (not heavy but look at the grip off road), airplanes...

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Thats a Cooper CS4 Touring. VERY HIGH FAILURE RATE. If you would like, i can give you the contact info for my friend who works for US Forensics that was hired by State Farm that is looking into these tires for them.

I used to sell cooper passenger tires back when they had the lifeliner touring which was a pretty decent tire. I'd run a chinese tire before i run a CS4.

Exactly what that tire was... I used to swear by Cooper Discover ATRs on my truck, but after I basically got told to F off when I asked about any chance of a warranty on that CS4 (SOB cost damn near what the tires for my truck cost), I'm debating between 9.00R16 STA Bias Ply or Humvee takeoffs. I'm pretty much done with Cooper.

By the way, your avatar pic, some one you know or internet?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Exactly what that tire was... I used to swear by Cooper Discover ATRs on my truck, but after I basically got told to F off when I asked about any chance of a warranty on that CS4 (SOB cost damn near what the tires for my truck cost), I'm debating between 9.00R16 STA Bias Ply or Humvee takeoffs. I'm pretty much done with Cooper.

By the way, your avatar pic, some one you know or internet?

The truck is mine. LOL. ex sig other.

I can't really say to much on Cooper here in the open. But there's a reason why if you search for their failures, its abnormally low.

I just had to put 4 new tires on my dads ovlov. Took Yokohama's off that were dryrotted beyond believe after only 3 years. I put a set of Hankook H727's on. Best set of tires for the money. Been using them for years. Suddenly Consumer Reports does a test on the H727 and it becomes a best seller. Price went up too. But damn good tire. My Benz has Nexen's.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after 30,000 miles I had a Treadwright tire fail at 75 mph on my 2003. No injury to the passengers but some minor damage to the wheel well.

Truck was not loaded at the time of failure. The tire was located on the drivers front side. Prior to failure I noticed a vibration and within 30 seconds the tire failed. I also started to notice small cracks in the tire. Should have pulled over but the decision making time was limited...and I chose wrong.

At this point I have lost faith in retreads but not certain if there is more to it than the tire.

I plan to go and buy a new set of BFGs or Cooper tires tomorrow. Can't justify saving a few hundred dollars when it could have been my wife driving the pickup...

I am thinking of putting 255/85's on it. Thoughts?

Thad

Please don't take offense, but I have got to point out a few warnings that you should have heeded that would have prevented your near-death experience.

When you already know a tire has obvious defects, it is simply insane to then drive that tire at 75-MPH. cookoo

Retreads are a cheap alternative for slowly driven farm or work vehicles, or for slowly driven vehicles that are used in terrain where they will most likely get destroyed long before the tread is gone, such as loggers, oil-field workers, and such.

Retreads are NOT for highway driven vehicles at highway speeds.

One other fact that I point out over and over: a steel-belted radial tire casing has already outlived it's safe life LONG BEFORE the initial tread is worn away.

One is going way out on a limb to expect a radial casing to then hold together throughout another new tread-life; it just ain't gonna happen.

If you are gonna use retreads, DEMAND BIAS CASINGS; you can recap them several times; but still, the same warnings already stated about speed and use apply.

RSDSL is correct in that recaps are illegal on a steer-axle; drive-axles and trailers ONLY.

Also, according to the prices I see quoted for LT-sized retreads, I can buy decent foreign-made ****** tires for less money and I would for certain trust a cheapo ****** tire before I would trust a recap.

When we quote prices to a potential customer that is seeking a bargain, whether he be buying tires for a log-truck or a pick-up, he will always opt for the less expensive ****** tire.

It has been quite a few years since we have sold a retread and the ones still in the racks have quite a few years worth of dust and spider-webs in and on them.
:)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Please don't take offense, but I have got to point out a few warnings that you should have heeded that would have prevented your near-death experience.

When you already know a tire has obvious defects, it is simply insane to then drive that tire at 75-MPH. cookoo

Retreads are a cheap alternative for slowly driven farm or work vehicles, or for slowly driven vehicles that are used in terrain where they will most likely get destroyed long before the tread is gone, such as loggers, oil-field workers, and such.

Retreads are NOT for highway driven vehicles at highway speeds.

One other fact that I point out over and over: a steel-belted radial tire casing has already outlived it's safe life LONG BEFORE the initial tread is worn away.

One is going way out on a limb to expect a radial casing to then hold together throughout another new tread-life; it just ain't gonna happen.

If you are gonna use retreads, DEMAND BIAS CASINGS; you can recap them several times; but still, the same warnings already stated about speed and use apply.

RSDSL is correct in that recaps are illegal on a steer-axle; drive-axles and trailers ONLY.

Also, according to the prices I see quoted for LT-sized retreads, I can buy decent foreign-made ****** tires for less money and I would for certain trust a cheapo ****** tire before I would trust a recap.

When we quote prices to a potential customer that is seeking a bargain, whether he be buying tires for a log-truck or a pick-up, he will always opt for the less expensive ****** tire.

It has been quite a few years since we have sold a retread and the ones still in the racks have quite a few years worth of dust and spider-webs in and on them.
:)

I don't know if they are still this way, but the old commercial bias tires were simply amazing. You could re groove the things once or twice they had so much meat on them for the tread surface, then get a number of cappings out of them for trailer use or trade teh cases in for a nice price break on a new set. I don't know if anyone still regrooves tires anymore

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Midnight,

No offense taken. There is a reason I posted. I learn from mistakes and hope to let others gain from it! The only question I have is who regulates running retreads on steer axles? I researched it to no avail...please site your source.

typ4,

Interestingly enough the two Michelins retreads that WERE on the truck have more cracking in the sidewall that the one that failed (that being said its surface only and resembles a spider web). I hope you are incorrect about my BFG purchase. I have had several sets of BFG's with no issues. One set is still on a 98 Cherokee with 30,000ish miles and no issues...and my brother is brother is bad about rotating them (he lives with me and I see the rig everday since I sold it).

RLDSL,

My grandpa said the same thing about running retreads on a steer axle...instead of telling me that it was dumb he did the "North Dakota" thing and told me a story about his experiences which would let you know his opinion. (Its actually funny that many in the upper midwest wont tell you that they disagree they will allude to it but not say it)

I plan to run the retreads on my 87 F250...so we'll see how it goes.

thanks
Thad

Last edited:

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
any date on these tires?

Left the blown out tire at Fargo Tire. I am on vacation and didn't want to drag on a blown out tire when I got lots of other things (to include non blown out retreads) competing for space in the bed.

I will however check the remaining retreads just out of curiousity.

Thad

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I know USDOT prohibits recap on the steer axle of a truck 26k+, but i've never heard anything about light duty trucks. :/

Thanks for sharing. I am kinda curious what caused the blow out, but i think it says something that even after blowing, the cap didnt separate from the casing...

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I am kinda curious what caused the blow out, but i think it says something that even after blowing, the cap didnt separate from the casing...

After thinking about it and looking at the pictures it seems that the blowout had little, if anything, to do with cracking.

I agree with those that say it was a bad carcass and shouldn't have been recapped.

Thad

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After thinking about it and looking at the pictures it seems that the blowout had little, if anything, to do with cracking.

I agree with those that say it was a bad carcass and shouldn't have been recapped.

Thad

it lasted 30,000 miles and you say its a bad carcass? i guess if an engine lasts 100,000 miles instead of 300,000 miles it was a bad engine from the start as well? by the way it looked you prob hit something in the road. if you believed it to be a bad carcass you should have sent it to them and let them tell you what happened to the tire.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
it lasted 30,000 miles and you say its a bad carcass? i guess if an engine lasts 100,000 miles instead of 300,000 miles it was a bad engine from the start as well? by the way it looked you prob hit something in the road. if you believed it to be a bad carcass you should have sent it to them and let them tell you what happened to the tire.

Dude, really?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent