Trasnfer Case wont shift

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so im in a terribly confusing situation. I have to tow my truck to the transmission shop because the guy screwed it up. The only gears I have are park and reverse. So I backed the truck up in 4 low. I got partially up on the trailer but we discovered that we dont think that the trailer is quite big enough so we are going to have to drive it off the trailer and have a tow truck come. So I go to shift the transfer case into nuetral, and it wont shift out of 4 low. Could this problem be caused because the truck is at a big angle and the transfer case has a load on it? Or is something wrong with the transfer case where this happens?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Any suggestions on getting the load off?"

Perfect opportunity for a funny lol.

On a serious note, can use push with another truck to take the tension off? Or use a come along to move it back until it shifts.

sassyrel

Reaction score
take a jack,and jack up one wheel--any one--and it will unload the "pressure" on the case--and the driveline--

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Did you put the transmission shifter into neutral? Maybe have someone or a couple people rock your truck back and forth and have someone inside to try to get it into neutral.

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission does not have nuetral lol. And so if I jack the back end up I should be able to shift it?

40dog

Reaction score
if she is still on the trailer put a comalong attached to the truck and trailer winch it back up a little this should let the load off the drive line so you can shift the tc yes this isnt the best way i can think of to get your load off but you still have a smile when your done

1992f250idi

Reaction score
if you shut the truck off while its in reverse wont it roll? wouldnt be the best for the tranny but just to get it off the trailer

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Side note:

Always apply parking brake when parked on an angle!

If it doesn't work, fix it and use it often, you won't have any problems with it.

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got the truck off the trailer. And ya my parking brake does not work lol

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I didint really have another vehicle to pull it forward with to relieve pressure. So...... I put it in reverse and floored it and threw it in nuetral when it was rolling a little.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online