Transmission trouble

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so my transmission(t19) started grinding quite a bit so I drained the fluid to change it and found 5 or so metal shards about the size of a pencil eraser so I took them out. Should I put fluid in and run it or should I throw an np435 that I have lying around in it. They are both 4x4 and I need the truck tomorrow, should I try an run ot or swap them. As long as I don't need to do any driveshaft mods that is.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the pieces? From the description, sounds like gear teeth.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I assumed they are gear teeth, I would put up a pic but they are already in the garbage haha. Would 5 missing teeth from one, or several gears cause a disaster though? It makes some horrible noises while using the gears to slow down,(1st second and third) but while under acceleration it sounds and feels normal, it also became difficult to downshift into second.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a few missing teeth in a row could cause a disaster. one here and there may run a while.can you pull a side cover and look?

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just filled it back up and it seems fine so we will see, I have a cummins with a 5 speed that's getting ready to go in so it only needs to last a month

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys Wednesday my transmission got stuck in 4th for a while on my way to work, I was able to force it out by pudding against it with my feet as hard as I could, I then was able to baby it home while it ground like crazy going into 3rd, so I took it out this weekend and put my 435 in, what a difference, I even like the gears better, and I tore the t19 apart and all the gears seem fine, synchro es seem fine, but I can't even hand select between 3rd and fourth for some reason, it just won't happen, and when I put it in 1st or second there is a bad metal clunking sound while I spin it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online