Transmission Slipping??

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
I have a 89 F350 4X4. I replaced the VSS on the transfer case and the TPS (set to correct voltage). My speedometer quit working, although I installed a new cable.

When my speedo started acting up I noticed my transmission shifting poorly. Now it seems like the tranny is slipping. Normally when going between 15 and 35 mph or up hills. It will rev really high then slam into gear then rev again. I could only make it back home by putting it in second for the last 3 miles. The OD light is blinking but will only blink for a few seconds so its not long enough for me to get a code.

Any ideas on how to fix it? I need my truck or the horses aint gonna to be fed.

I also drained my transmission fluid along with filter change.

I have the E4OD tranny

Thank you in advance

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the cable end at the trans., the gear may be stripped. Replace the MLPS at the shift linkage or check the connector for corrosion. Make sure you check fluid when tranny is hot, never never overfill it, best to leave level an 1/8" below full line.

WELCOME to the OB. Lots of knowledge on here. Now get those horses fed before they stampeed to the water trough.

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
Thank you.

The plastic gear is slightly warped in the middle of the fins. I will visit ford on Monday.

What is a MLPS? Is it the same as a neutral safety switch?

Sent from HTC Android

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
Is there a trick to get the MLPS off? I undid the two bolts on both sides but it is stuck on the center nut which is attached to the shift linkage, every time I try to get if off, it shifts on me.

Just trying not to break anything, or get crushed! ;Sweet

Speedo gear is ordered from the site you gave me. (Thank you) I only got the actual VSS gear and not the drive gear as my local Ford dealer has the drive gears in stock if i need them.

Horses also fed, had to take the tractor 5 miles into town.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online