Transmission leak? Picturs to follow......

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Transmission leak? I crawled under the truck to look at the kitty and noticed wet stuff flung from the output of the tranny? So how hard is it to fix? and what do i do first? I checked the fluid and it was in the middle of cold with only driven a few mins then left to idle? could this also be my over 2k rpm problem?

Pictures to follow......

BJS

Reaction score
Rear seal not a big deal to replace though expect to get the wrong part at least once or twice from the parts house and/or dealer.

just use either a 3 jaw external puller on a slide hammer or a large seal puller and it'll pop out. Installation of the new one is easy I use one of my large sockets sized appropriately as a driver and smack it in this way it's all even and no distortion of the metal ring.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
All engine oil & fuel leaks drip down through the hole at the back of the valley. The fluid does coat the tranny bell housing where it drips from. Many think it's a tranny issue but it's not. My guess is that your tranny is fine but what you're seeing are residual drips from your fuel pump.

What color is the oil? If not red it's not your tranny.

Last edited:

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
All engine oil & fuel leaks drip down through the hole at the back of the valley. The fluid does coat the tranny bell housing where it drips from. Many think it's a tranny issue but it's not. My guess is that your tranny is fine but what you're seeing are residual drips from your fuel pump.

What color is the oil? If not red it's not your tranny.

That is a good point, but what I'm seeing is just at the tail and then looks to be spun from the drive shaft?:dunno

Crosspower

Reaction score
That extension housing seal is NOT leaking. If it were it would be coming out the weep hole as well. Older trans used a O-ring on the output shaft. This seals the output shaft to the yoke. If you look at the pictures you can tell the fluid is coming out of the back of the yoke. The O-ring has turned hard with age and needs to be changed. BTW the yoke is not sealed at the back. It has a tiny vent hole in it, which is how the fluid comes out. Its still pretty easy to fix. You just need to remove the extension housing, replace the O-ring, gasket and seal.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
That extension housing seal is NOT leaking. If it were it would be coming out the weep hole as well. Older trans used a O-ring on the output shaft. This seals the output shaft to the yoke. If you look at the pictures you can tell the fluid is coming out of the back of the yoke. The O-ring has turned hard with age and needs to be changed. BTW the yoke is not sealed at the back. It has a tiny vent hole in it, which is how the fluid comes out. Its still pretty easy to fix. You just need to remove the extension housing, replace the O-ring, gasket and seal.
So take the U-joint off, then pull the shaft out, replace the seal, O-ring and Gasket?:confused:

Crosspower

Reaction score
Sorry, I just assumed it was a C6. But after looking at the pics again I realized its a E40D. There may not be a O ring in this case. Without a O-ring the yoke is sealed at the back by a tinny metal plate. Look to see if its in place or if fliuds coming around it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online