Transfer Tank Plumbing?

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Just scored a transfer tank off c-list. 75G w/ working 15gpm pump (with auto shut off handle) and its rhino lined. Grand total, $250!

Anyway, I would like to plumb it to my front tank via a solenoid valve. Only problem I see is venting of the truck tank. Every time I pop the fuel cap, I release the vacuum in the tank, which tells me that the than vent doesn't work for crap. Also, how do you get into the tank? Just hole saw a hole and mount a liquid bulk head fitting? I plan to drop the tank to take care of these mods. I want to make the line at least 1/2 inch so that it flows half ways fast.

So far the only thing I have seen is my friends truck, and he just cut a hole in the fuel fill hose, and shoved the transfer line down it. It looks like all sorts of crap gets in his tank because the hole is so much bigger than the transfer line. Not the right way to do it.

TIA
PZ

w4dsb

Reaction score
if you're wanting to go into the filler hose they sell a tee that has a smaller fitting on the side for the transfer tank hose , check northern tool that's where i saw them

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to plumb mine in tomorrow. All I am going to do it run a line from the tank in the bed and T in the return line for the front tank. For right now it'll have a manual shut off valve on it that I'll have to get under there and turn off and on, but once I find one I'll put an electric one in there so I can turn it on from the cab. I'll just keep an eye on the front tank level and when it gets full I'll turn the valve off.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Hey phazer
I got a hookup on any plumbing type parts u might need. Let me know. Its at Rocky mtn supply. for this type of stuff if they dont have it doesnt exist.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'm going to plumb mine in tomorrow. All I am going to do it run a line from the tank in the bed and T in the return line for the front tank. For right now it'll have a manual shut off valve on it that I'll have to get under there and turn off and on, but once I find one I'll put an electric one in there so I can turn it on from the cab. I'll just keep an eye on the front tank level and when it gets full I'll turn the valve off.

Be cautious... Gravity feed systems are a great way get a big fine from DOT

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
For future reference some state DOT laws require that fuel be pumped into your vehicle by a DOT approved transfer device. Like the electric transfer or manual pumps. Some ALSO state that the vehicle has to be stationary and turned off when doing so. Notice the sign that says at some stations "It is unlawful to leave your vehicle running while dispensing fuel". We all know that static electricity isnt going to ignite diesel but they didnt make diesel an exception.

I ran into the issue here in Montana cause one of my military trucks has a 24v transfer pump to pump fuel from the main tank to the wrecker motor tank. It came standard on my military truck not something I added. They are both diesel tanks and motors. I was helping a wrecker company out with an offroad recovery with my M816 and I hit the switch to pump diesel from my main tank to the other tank for the wrecker boom cause it was gettiing low. The DOT officer gave me a $85 ticket for dispensing fuel with the truck running even though it was all on a sealed system. I tried fighting it but it was some crap. I think their issue is more with overfilling and causing a spill as well.

Granted that some DOTs where it matters may never know that you have it but i am in the habit of not giving them a reason to check my truck for anything. The big transfer tank in your truck is a BIG SIGN that you could have red dye in it and if they dont see a pump hooked to it. It will raise some suspicion for the A hole DOT officers. I always liked the idea of the added pump just cause I could pump fuel to someone if they needed it. I saw that you had one that is a major plus to keep DOT off you, somewhat.

Another thing being that yes the tank is considered a transfer tank and NOT a fuel tank for vehicle operation. Meaning it cant vent itself. With that hooked into your filler neck they can if they want consider that to be all one UNIT and therefore you have an unlawful fuel tank. Like i said some DOTs would never catch it, but you never know what you might run into.

It is a nice designed product, but I dont see a DOT approved label on it or the product description.

REBELHIGHBOY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your running your truck for a company truck with DOT tags i would not want to try something like this DOT is not something to mess with now a days. With the goverment hurting as bad as it is they are looking to get every penny they can. They dont cut brakes anymore. And as far as the over flow part you would be able watch the gauge you probaly would not be able to get it completly full but pretty close.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got my shutoff valve right on the tank, so when the front tank gets full I just have to reach over the bed rail and shut it off. Much better than crawling under the truck. I know it wont help with the DOT, but my front tank can not overflow anyway with the filler tube I have on it, so I feel pretty conforatable with it.

wmoguy

Reaction score
If your running your truck for a company truck with DOT tags i would not want to try something like this DOT is not something to mess with now a days. With the goverment hurting as bad as it is they are looking to get every penny they can. They dont cut brakes anymore. And as far as the over flow part you would be able watch the gauge you probaly would not be able to get it completly full but pretty close.

It doesn't matter if you are commercial or not. This law applies to everyone.... Now if you are commercial and you don't follow the rules, fully expect for the fines and consequences to be bigger.

Black dawg

Reaction score
For future reference some state DOT laws require that fuel be pumped into your vehicle by a DOT approved transfer device. Like the electric transfer or manual pumps. Some ALSO state that the vehicle has to be stationary and turned off when doing so. Notice the sign that says at some stations "It is unlawful to leave your vehicle running while dispensing fuel". We all know that static electricity isnt going to ignite diesel but they didnt make diesel an exception.

I ran into the issue here in Montana cause one of my military trucks has a 24v transfer pump to pump fuel from the main tank to the wrecker motor tank. It came standard on my military truck not something I added. They are both diesel tanks and motors. I was helping a wrecker company out with an offroad recovery with my M816 and I hit the switch to pump diesel from my main tank to the other tank for the wrecker boom cause it was gettiing low. The DOT officer gave me a $85 ticket for dispensing fuel with the truck running even though it was all on a sealed system. I tried fighting it but it was some crap. I think their issue is more with overfilling and causing a spill as well.

Granted that some DOTs where it matters may never know that you have it but i am in the habit of not giving them a reason to check my truck for anything. The big transfer tank in your truck is a BIG SIGN that you could have red dye in it and if they dont see a pump hooked to it. It will raise some suspicion for the A hole DOT officers. I always liked the idea of the added pump just cause I could pump fuel to someone if they needed it. I saw that you had one that is a major plus to keep DOT off you, somewhat.

Another thing being that yes the tank is considered a transfer tank and NOT a fuel tank for vehicle operation. Meaning it cant vent itself. With that hooked into your filler neck they can if they want consider that to be all one UNIT and therefore you have an unlawful fuel tank. Like i said some DOTs would never catch it, but you never know what you might run into.

It is a nice designed product, but I dont see a DOT approved label on it or the product description.

I have worked on several 1 ton chevy fire trucks around here that have 2 tanks, with second tank automatically pumping into the first tank any time the fuel level gets lower in the first tank. I wonder how they get away with that?

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Its a government run operation they can do what they want to bend the rules. Its ok for them to do it cause its easier but not a civilian. Trust me I have seen the DOT officer here who has a duramax chevy 1 ton put RED DYE in his tank at the pump. I was like yeah well I guess they can evade the fuel tax but we cant. OH and when they sell the truck to someone and he gets a fine for running red dye cause it was in the "system" they are gonna be pissed. Same with school buses. The one I bought in Spokane was FULL of red dye from the school district but i still drove it home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel