Trans temp sender

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.K. I know this has been covered before but after an hour searching I did not find the info I was looking for. I am running out of time and daylight and need to address this issue promptly.

Trying to install sender for transmission temp gauge. Don't know which port to put it in.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I can be stupid. Went back out and found 2 potential spots. One on the drivers side near the front just above the oil pan and one on the passengers side near one of the cooler line connections. Which one is preferred?

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's in. Thanks for the confirmation. The location of the exhaust kind of ruled out the passenger side anyway.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Cool man, you got that in there mighty quick. Are you installing any other gauges along with the tranny temp? Where are you mounting it? Better yet just get a pic of it when your done :D

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the gauge in today. Several months ago when I put my EGT gauge in I tapped into the dashboard light dimmer and switched power and ran them to terminal blocks which I mounted under the dash near the cluster. Essentially right behind where the wait to start light is. I am very glad I did that as all I had to do for the wiring was run some wires from the terminal blocks to the gauge.

That said I am not exceedingly proud of my install. I don't have an actual gauge pod or anything remotely close to it. The only legitimate spot on the dash for a gauge already has my pyro in it so I had to make a mount. Unfortunately the only suitable material I had on hand is 1/8" aluminum plate. My A/C tig machine is in Virginia so I couldn't do any welding on it.

What I did was take a piece 3 1/4" x 7" and bend it 90*. Then I cut the 2 1/16" hole using a holesaw. I trimmed about 1 3/4" off the base of it after this because it was much longer than necessary. Then I cut the corners off, smoothed all the edges and cleaned it up with a roloc disc. I bent the outer back corners of the base down slightlyso it would mount more securely on the dash since the dach is curved where I mounted it. I put it over on the far left side of the dash as close to the A-pillar as I felt comfortable with.

So basically the whole back side of the gauge is exposed and I'm not excited about that but I needed it in before I pull my gooseneck back to Virginia as I am pretty sure I would fry the thing without knowing how hot it's running.

After I was finished I had a 20 mile drive to make. The gauge never moved off 100* for the first 15 miles. I thought it was defective at first. It settled on about 160* after that. I was running 70 mph the whole time unloaded.

I stopped to eat and when I started the truck up the gauge again stayed on 100*. Now it's only been 40 minutes since I stopped so I am sure at this point there is a problem. I mounted the amplifier box under the dash in a place where it's easy to access and so while I was driving I felt around under there and found it with my hand. I then started pushing on the wires where they come out of the terminal block and the gauge jumped up and down a few times. Once I got wherre I was going I pushed and pulled on the wires individually until I isolated the problem. It is one of the sender wires where it connects into the terminal on the amplifier. Should be easy to fix unless the circuit board is the problem. I think it's just the wire though.

Sorry for the long post.

So since I mounted the sender in the service port on the transmission what is the temperature range I should be staying under to avoid a meltdown?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I stopped to eat and when I started the truck up the gauge again stayed on 100*. Now it's only been 40 minutes since I stopped so I am sure at this point there is a problem. I mounted the amplifier box under the dash in a place where it's easy to access and so while I was driving I felt around under there and found it with my hand. I then started pushing on the wires where they come out of the terminal block and the gauge jumped up and down a few times. Once I got wherre I was going I pushed and pulled on the wires individually until I isolated the problem. It is one of the sender wires where it connects into the terminal on the amplifier. Should be easy to fix unless the circuit board is the problem. I think it's just the wire though.

Man, that sucks. Hopefully its an easy fix for you.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not that big of a deal. I am sure I can fix it in a few minutes. I'll just have to wait till I'm back at work where all my tools are.

At least I figured out today that I have a reman transmission. Looks like a factory reman as it has a metal tag that says "remanufactured" with barcodes on it. With 240,000 miles I'm just glad it's not the original tranny. Although I would be impressed.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It's not that big of a deal. I am sure I can fix it in a few minutes. I'll just have to wait till I'm back at work where all my tools are.

At least I figured out today that I have a reman transmission. Looks like a factory reman as it has a metal tag that says "remanufactured" with barcodes on it. With 240,000 miles I'm just glad it's not the original tranny. Although I would be impressed.

Thats good you have a reman. Those E4OD's stock just dont last very long, and with 240K miles on a stock tranny, you were way beyond there average life expectancy. I know our old truck (95 F350 PSD/E4OD 4x4 CC SRW), it crapped out on us at about 140K miles. Well actually the torque converter crapped out, but it sent a bunch of metal through the tranny. I remember when we took the tranny out, we took off the tranny pan, and on the little magnet, there was this huge donut looking ring of metal flakes around the magnent. It was really cool looking actaully, but there was a lot of metal that had gone through that tranny, I was suprised it didnt totally crap out on us when we drove it around unplugging the batteries every week to clear the codes thrown by the tranny. That ring of metal by the way, was probably 2" in diamter and about a 1/2" tall, thats a lot of metal.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. I tightened all of the wires going into the signal amplifier and it appears to be working consistently now. The gauge itself is very nice I hope it continues to operate for a long time.

It's an ISSPRO EV trans temp gauge. Visibility at night is excellent. So much better than my autometer gauges that are in my other vehicles.

Still only seeing 145-160 for temps after driving 20+ miles at 70 mph. Seems pretty good to me. But this is in the service port not the pan. What should my max temps be? I know I asked a few posts ago just trying to figure this out.

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
My friend is also about to install a trans temp guage and was wondering about the temps.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that since there 3 potential installation points that there are 3 different temperature ranges. So far my highest temp seen has been 165* in about 20 minutes of stop and go traffic. Typical temp at highway speeds (70-75)is running 150-155*. I drove an extra 70 miles yesterday as a test and just to get a feel for what is typical in my truck.

I'd like to know what the safe maximum sustained temperature is with the sender installed where it's at. I believe I've read 220* but I would like some confirmation.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Mine is installed at the test port (left front of the trans. Over 200 degrees makes me nervous(from past experience).The temps can climb from that point real fast if you are pullinf real hard,and cool down time can seem to be an eternity.

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
lft front port of a c6? anyone know what size the hole is and threads per inch?

assume its NPT ?

Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online

No members online now.