trans question

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The tps is supposed to be changed every 60,000 miles or there abouts.. Watch crefully how it comes off the drive end of the throttle shaft. The two tabs must touch that same places on the shaft end or the switch will break when you ask for wide open throtle.. I take the thin metal tps mounting plate off the side of the injection pump so I can attach the switch to it easier. Then I wind it up on the tab on the throttle shaft and then place a bolt in the plate to pump. Hand tighten those two bolts and make the needed voltage adjustments. This can be done on a cold engine too. Just remove the pump advance wire and the fast idle solenoid wire. Turn key on but engine off and make the adjustments... Cold is good to work on compared to TOO HOT TO HANDLE...

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip Gary. I'll be replacing it next week. Btw I just found out that I can get trans filter kit at work for 5 bucks lol

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not 100% sure on the diesel version of the e4od, but ford recommends NEVER changing that filter on the gas versions. Its not like the c6 with a small screen, the E4OD screen is hugh, and ment for a lifetime without replacement. The issue with changing them is dredging up filth in the trans that has settled into corners that normally wouldnt move around the transmission get stirred up and cause you problems!

anywho, i came across a nifty article when i had need to drop an E4OD pan in my uncles old 150, which by the way, we changed the filter and the trans literally exploded within 10k miles, but that was a gasser, and i assume the diesel might be different.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...F_Fluid_in_a_E4OD_and_4R100_transmission.html

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 - 16 months ago I had the trans. drained/flushed for the third time in 5 years....with filter.. clean the pan and you shouldn't have a problem...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Im not 100% sure on the diesel version of the e4od, but ford recommends NEVER changing that filter on the gas versions. Its not like the c6 with a small screen, the E4OD screen is hugh, and ment for a lifetime without replacement. The issue with changing them is dredging up filth in the trans that has settled into corners that normally wouldnt move around the transmission get stirred up and cause you problems!

anywho, i came across a nifty article when i had need to drop an E4OD pan in my uncles old 150, which by the way, we changed the filter and the trans literally exploded within 10k miles, but that was a gasser, and i assume the diesel might be different.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...F_Fluid_in_a_E4OD_and_4R100_transmission.html

Only difference between gas and diesel E4OD's. Friction count, some gear sets and bell housing pattern.

If you have junk in the tranny, it will be dieing soon. Gas or diesel.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
lets see, the injectors are stock, chances are the pump is too, which means they are most likely shot being roughly 23 years old and in the mileage range of generally worn out, add to that they are still set at factory timing specs, which worked great on the old fuel, but will make you underpowered on the new stuff, even with a fresh pump and injectors, add to that worn out pump and injectors and its a wonder the thing can get out of its own way.
Then add the dark tranny fluid which means the viscoscity of the tranny fluid is compromised, the stuff is only 20 wt to begin with it, cant take a whole lot of breakdown before it begins to fail hydraulically. Chances are its original fill even though it should have been changed a number of times.

Take care of the ignored service items and you may be pleasantly surprised
Dont just drop the tranny fluid, make sure to power flush it through the cooler line so you get the torque converter flushed out and all the fluid changed. Running a treatment of auto rx through it wouldnt hurt if you think the valve body might be having issues, if it feels like clutches might be slipping, then some trans x might be in order before changine out the fluid

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I can't remember for sure on a E4OD, but the other older transmissions had a drain plug on the torque converter. You have to remove the inspection cover and you can see it through one of the holes in the flywheel next to one of the tc nuts. You might have to rotate the engine to find the plug. Then I'd unhook the lines at the trans, slip a piece of rubber fuel line over one of the lines and into a drain pan. Then blow compressed air through the other line. That will get the old fluid out of the rest of the system. Caution. if you use too much air pressure, you'll make a big mess. Speaking from experience. There's also a line flush that's sold in an aerosol can if you want to go the extra mile. I can't remember the name of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online