Tranny temp gauge

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
I picked up a B&M tranny temp gauge to so I don't burn up the tranny i'm putting in like I did with the first one:D The Instruction's say to put the sending unit in the oil return line, I'm thinking about putting it in the outlet line so I can watch the temp at it's highest.

I'm wondering what you guy's think, and if your running one and where did you put your sending unit?

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
When I did mine my local tranny expert suggested that after the cooler was better because you know if your cooler is working. I agreed with your thoughts and put it before the cooler. :rolleyes:

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the E4OD, there's a port just foward of the shifting linkage on ther drivers' side. That's where I put mine, so that would be before the fluid is cooled, plus it was the right size for my temp guage sensor/sender.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You know you want to, so just do it.... put em both in:D One before the cooler and one on the return side after the cooler.
Aside from looking super cool with the extra gauge, when pulling in mountains it lets you know if you've reached a point a heat saturation where inlet and outlet temps equalize and begin to climb overall. WITH 2 GAUGES you can monitor what's going on a lot more easily

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
You know you want to, so just do it.... put em both in:D One before the cooler and one on the return side after the cooler.
Aside from looking super cool with the extra gauge, when pulling in mountains it lets you know if you've reached a point a heat saturation where inlet and outlet temps equalize and begin to climb overall. WITH 2 GAUGES you can monitor what's going on a lot more easily

That would be cool but i'm not that worry about it lol I just need this tranny to hold up till I fined a ZF5 or T19 for it:D

gandalf

Reaction score
I plugged mine into the side just ahead of the linkage. It was a very easy job. I'll post a picture, maybe, if I can remember how.

No, guess maybe not. I think the file may be too large. How about a link.

80500[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• DSCF7227.jpg
    DSCF7227.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 0

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
Big Dave; my gauge is digital, runs about 135 degree F and is very responsive to changes in tranny load, it's interesting to watch as your driving it will rise up to as much as 170 when pulling my trailer and go extreme if I am backing up or jockying around a bunch. Every morning it also tells me approx. what the outside air temp is as an added bonus before I start the truck :rotflmao:rotflmao

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Before the coolers - that way you get to see the actual working temp for the tranny. Keep your temps before the coolers under 225 degrees - you can run 225 degrees all day long in the hot line and not hurt the tranny. I would keep the E below that but would go above it some when backing the trailer in her spot. But would make sure that I allowed the truck to idle until the temp was well below 200 before shutting her down - didn't want her to heat soak.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before the coolers - that way you get to see the actual working temp for the tranny. Keep your temps before the coolers under 225 degrees - you can run 225 degrees all day long in the hot line and not hurt the tranny.

X 2. Before the cooler. You need to know what temp the tranny is seeing, otherwise, the temp gauge really isn't helping you keep it alive.

Heath

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the tranny cool, and it will last a long time. If it gets hot, spend $40-50 bucks and throw another cooler on it...makes a big difference.