Tranny Swap

aaklingler

Reaction score
I've got a '79 f250 400 cid 4x4 and i would like to put a five speed behind it. I also have the bellhousing for the motor and probably the np 435 tranny. Is it possibly to put the zf5 out of a 460 in, bolt pattern is the same for bell housing but what about input shaft and crank flange? How hard would it be to put the nv 4500 in there? Is it possible for the 4500 to mate with my bell housing? Advance adaptors has a $700 kit but if possible i would like to do it cheaper. The kit also adapts the 4500 to the 205, would it be possible to use the stock 4500 tc?
Thanks,

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
the zf box has the bellhousing made on it and it was never offered in a truck that had a modified series engine in it (351M/400M are the main ones) and you would have to convert to a hydro clutch (not too hard) and you will have to either get a adapter to use your 205 T case (most likely case in that truck) but you may also run into a problem with they tranny because the 460's used a longer input shaft than the 400 does, it probably could be done but i think the nv is a better/easier/less expensive alternative

with the nv advance adapters makes a plate to go on the back of your bellhousing to bolt it to the NV and all the other adapter to make the swap... should be almost bolt in

but...

the coolest tranny swap i have ever seen on the back of a ford is somebody took a nv5600 six speed and slapped it on the back of a 460 in a bronco i know they used the ford bellhousing and mated it to the nv box with a adapter it might be as easy as the 4500 but i don't have a recipie for that one

aaklingler

Reaction score
Thanks, I know the zf5 has the bell housing on it and it was used behind the 460 and it wasn't used behind the 351m or 400, but the 400 has the same bell housing pattern as the 460 but i didn't know if anything else was different. The 5600 would be nice but the 4500 would probably be cheaper. I was wondering if it was possible to fit the 4500 to my bell housing without the adapter, drill new holes or something.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
that little adapter is not a high priced item it is just a little plate that goes between your old bellhousing and the NV4500... it would be mucho easier than drilling holes because somebody has already done the math for all of it so everything works properly.. as for if it will work if you was just dead set on drilling holes i have no clue on the dimensions or if the bellhousing has enough meat to support the tranny where the holes have to be drilled

you are correct on the zf box.. i'm sure it will bolt up but.. the input shaft length and length of through needed for the through out bearing are different between the 460 and 400 if you ever swap your mill you will see what i'm talking about.. nothing too major that a few washers won't handle but with the bellhousing and tranny in one piece you have no room to play... also the older and newer 460's have different flywheels and it would be a miracle if they are the same thickness as your 400 (i know they are balanced differently) so getting a slave cylinder on there might be very hit or miss

i agree with you the 4500 would be the best route... i just mentioned the six speed because i didn't know how much money you wanted to through at the old gal it is a very sick swap if you have about 4k to do it