Track bar with RSK?

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Longer is better. If you want to go all out, install a steering box brace as well. I've used the clamps from a jeep kit and made my own bar that runs over to the pass side frame. Made a noticeable difference.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Considering the ord rsk kit comes with a bracket to move the track bar up higher on the axle would lead me to think they still want it there

leojr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an ongoing debate about the track bar being required or not. But in my experience, it is required.

My set up includes a 2.25" Precision Metal Fab RSK and V code springs. For my own testing I removed the track bar....at parking lot speeds the steering felt vague and soft. Got up to about 35 mph or so and the front end was doing the death shake. I truly thought the front axle was going to come out from underneath. I returned home at a mall crawler speed and put the track bar back in. I don't argue with those that say it is not needed...maybe their real world self experiences say so...but for me, it is required.

With the 2.25" RSK, V code leafs, FD400 drop pitman arm, 2.5" drop track bar bracket and an adjustable track bar make for zero bump steer. Same drop pitman arm and a 3" drop track bar bracket was close, but not perfect.

If I wanted to debate...this would be my position:
If the factory D60 comes with a track bar, how is moving the fixed end of the leaf spring to the front of the frame, where it is weaker, and then extend the mounting point down 4 or so inches which increases its leverage, creating a better geometry that no no longer requires a track bar for support? And the rear leaf spring mounting point is now extended farther from the frame about 3" with a shackled pivot...further exaggerating the leverage the axle.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i posted this thread because of the people that say the track bar is not needed..
i, myself would consider the added support as a benefit.
i was just looking for others opinions.
now reading what you guys have posted and looking at my track bar either being 1 bolt away from being installed, or 1 bolt away from being uninstalled, i think ill just add a bolt.

unless, i can come up with a way to incorporate a longer track bar on the front of the axle inbetween the steering and the axle.
just speaking out of my 10.25 right now, i havnt looked at it real close.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Your thread has changed my mind about not bothering with one. Now I just hope that my engine crossmember had the holes pre-drilled for the frame side bracket. I'll need to find another stock panhard or get the measurements and build one. Guy cut mine with a torch when he pulled it from under the wrecker it was originally on.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I have bolts on mine. Only thing I have for the panhard is the axle mount and a frame mount drop bracket. Don't even have the bracket for the crossmember, but I'll watch out for bolt length when I finally get around to doing the swap.

And for $125 I can have my custom DOM draglink and tierod LOL I'll end up getting weld in bungs and one bushing with either a hiem joint or johnny joint on the other end.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have bolts on mine. Only thing I have for the panhard is the axle mount and a frame mount drop bracket. Don't even have the bracket for the crossmember, but I'll watch out for bolt length when I finally get around to doing the swap.

And for $125 I can have my custom DOM draglink and tierod LOL I'll end up getting weld in bungs and one bushing with either a hiem joint or johnny joint on the other end.

If you need measurements let me know. Mine is laying up on the shelf waiting to be put in.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
If you need measurements let me know. Mine is laying up on the shelf waiting to be put in.

Would be a good idea for my future reference! If you'd be so kind :D I'll file it in my SAS info.

I was thinking some of these, but I'd have to make sure at least one mounting bracket has a 2.63" mounting width or better.

https://www.ballisticfabrication.com/mobile/home.asp?#page-193

Looks like they've started making them in different mount widths!
https://www.ballisticfabrication.com/mobile/home.asp?#page-65

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Yup. I just don't have my D60 here to find out if the factory mount is wide enough. If it's wider, then I have room to work with. I think the factory bar is 20.7" long. Sky Manufacturing also males a welded steel version of Ford's discontinued frame mount (and s drop bracket for 4-6" lifts).

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup. I just don't have my D60 here to find out if the factory mount is wide enough. If it's wider, then I have room to work with. I think the factory bar is 20.7" long. Sky Manufacturing also males a welded steel version of Ford's discontinued frame mount (and s drop bracket for 4-6" lifts).
you mean this one? Lol I will be trying it on my build.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online