TPS - Wrong Position Affect Starting?

scjarena

Reaction score
I had to replace a head on 1990 7.3, broke the Throttle position sensor and had to buy a new one. Since its adjustable, I'm not sure what position it needs to be in or if the wrong position would make it hard to start. I been trying to get fuel system purged of air so its probably what the problem is but I still can't start and I'm wondering about the TP sensor? Thanks

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The FIPL (Fuel Injection Pump Lever) also called the TPS by most auto parts stores, is only there to tell the TECA (E4OD Transmission Controller) where the throttle lever is. The FIPL has no control what so ever on the engine or starting. If it is not adjusted correctly, it WILL cause shifting issues with the transmssion. Since you were in the area of the IP working, make sure all the electrical connections are made, and correct.

Also, did you remove the IP to do the head work. I am sure you did, so if you did, how did you remove the IP? Did you remove the plate below the oil fill and remove the 3 small bolts, and then removed the IP from the gear tower, or did you remove the IP, Gear Tower, gear and all as one unit. If so your issue may very well be timing.......

Also, please add your truck information to your signature so we all know what you are working on. To add this information, click the User CP link and then click Edit Signature.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know for these trucks the TPS has nothing to do with engine function. The TPS is to feed a signal to the TCM for the E4OD. It might shift funny if it's out of whack but it should have nothing to do with the engine itself.

Edit: What he said. Beat me to it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What has been posted above it correct. The tps has nothing to do with fuel to the injection pump. Its just for the E4OD trans. You do need to set the idle voltage on it. to do that warm up the engine. then turn the ignition on but do not start the engine. Now use a digital voltmeter and test the voltage on the center wire to the tps. Its the green wire. For a very soft shift set it for .96 volts at the idle position. For a firmer shift set it for 1.2 volts. Once the voltage is set go wide open throttle position and see what the voltage is. It will probably be around 3.7 volts. Just make sure it never reads 5.0 or higher. at 5.0 volts the computer shuts down and the trans goes into limp home mode. This action is designed to safely get you off the highways to a shop for repairs. It will have break neck shifting and will be almost undriveable. Do not drive far. the shifting breaks the trans quickly.

scjarena

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the TPS. As far as the IP, I pulled it by unbolting from the housing and removing the three small bolts in front. Is possible I could have let the gear skip a tooth? If so, whats the best to check this? I'm new to working on these engines. Thanks

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the TPS. As far as the IP, I pulled it by unbolting from the housing and removing the three small bolts in front. Is possible I could have let the gear skip a tooth? If so, whats the best to check this? I'm new to working on these engines. Thanks

As long as you didn't unbolt the aluminum timing gear cover from the engine, the gear cannot skip a tooth.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor) also called the TPS

MLPS is down on the tranny, actuated by the shifter cable, and lets the TECA know what gear it's in. The official term for our TPS is FIPL... Fuel Injection Pump Lever, per Ford tech bulletins.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
MLPS is down on the tranny, actuated by the shifter cable, and lets the TECA know what gear it's in. The official term for our TPS is FIPL... Fuel Injection Pump Lever, per Ford tech bulletins.

Thank you for the correction.... not enough coffee yet this morning....

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel ya! I had to look up FIPL because I couldn't remember what it meant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin