Towing

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True you can tag them for anything but you must stay within axle rating on all axles and Gvwr on power unite. There are bridge ratings but I dont think that will apply here. By bridge ratings I don’t mead what the bridge is posted for but a bridge regulation applying to concentrated weight within a given distance.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what is being said is that I need a cdl to tow 10,000 lbs? Thats only 16500 gcwr with my truck. And I'm aware I can register it any gcwr but that's just because they want your money, if you get pulled over above factory rating you'll still get hassled.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You talk about a can of worms on this. And no one seems to have a clear answer. I've heard that any trailer over 10,000lbs needs dot numbers on pull vehicle. What I've also heard is that's only for commercial vehicles. As I understand it if your just a person you don't need DOT numbers. At least in the state of IOWA. I've also read that they are more worried about the GAWR vs GCWR.

I myself register my truck for the full weight of the trailer and pickup. Biggest trailer I own is 14k rated. Truck weighs like 6500. So I do like an 11ton or 12 ton tag on my truck. I definitely want to make sure to stay under 26,000 lbs because then you bump into CDL territory.

One of the next places I'm calling is Iowa carrier enforcement to get the scoop directly from them.

Also once I started reading about trailers and stuff I found out Iowa requires brakes on all axles of any trailer rated higher than 3500lbs. And requires a break away kit. Well my 7K car trailer meets neither of those requirements.

I definitely want to run legal, but it's hard to figure it all out. And I don't want to figure it all out because I got a bunch of tickets.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think someone mentioned earlier that it's also depends on what kind of towing you're doing. A lot of it depends on if you're getting paid to do it or not. I know that in CA, towing over a certain weight requires a class A, but towing the same amount for say a 5th wheel RV, it would require a Class C endorsement or possible a non commercial class A.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just read up on cdl requirements and I do not need one until gcwr is 26001 lbs or more. The 10000 trailer has to do with a class a or b. If gcwr is 26001 with the trailer having a gvw of more than 10000 than you need an a. If the gcwr is 26001 and the trailer is less than 10000 than you only need a b. As far as cdl goes, I can haul 19500 pounds with my f350 and a class d. Now I'm going to call the dmv and see what they say about towing without the cdl. I don't need or want to tow 19500. I will be happy if I can legally tow 10k. My father works for a municipality and they used to have a 90's f250 that they towed their backhoe with and that was more than the gcwr, so it may be legal.

RocketScott

Reaction score
I bought a semi last year and it's a bit maddening trying to jump through all the hoops.

Look at the CDL requirements for you state. The dot should have a PDF explaining everything.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I'm staying out of this one, it's been brought up repeatedly, and it varies widely depending on where you are and how much you actually care....
I DO want to find a 2wd CCLB with a 3.08 rear for road trips now ;Sweet
Hmmm..... fuel mileage.... 6.9, zf, 3.08, and a GV..... -Drool betcha it'd get 30 hwy.....

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if that's what the DMV buffoons tried to do here... The motorhome we got that I later turned into my truck was taken in for registration. We had one amount, then it came back almost double. somehow in a shift change and two different people, it went back to the same desk and came back as "well you'll have to pay commercial registration on it" Huh? a barely 20 foot? motorhome that weezes up a hill with a TBI 350 (1989) and you want us to pay commercial registration fees? classy...

California makes me pay commercial registration on my F250. And it's only listed as being like 5500 lb on the registration.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm staying out of this one, it's been brought up repeatedly, and it varies widely depending on where you are and how much you actually care....
I DO want to find a 2wd CCLB with a 3.08 rear for road trips now ;Sweet
Hmmm..... fuel mileage.... 6.9, zf, 3.08, and a GV..... -Drool betcha it'd get 30 hwy.....
Ya I think I have to decided just not to care because the dmv couldn't come up with an answer. But was there in fact a 3.08 factory idi? Because according to my owners Manuel there was, at least in 86, but I have never even heard of one being mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online