Towing RPMs

Reaction score
Curious what you guys like to run for RPMs towing. And for you ZF guys - are you towing in 5th gear? I've been told Ford did not recommend it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically you tow around 2000 RPM regardless what transmission you have. Ya just don't lug a diesel engine. Shift up, down as needed with a ZF, a auto will shift down as needed, just don't let it, up/down continously.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tow sraight (flat land) and not a max load only 6500 7000 pounds with my zf in 5 with the smf upgrade and anything else more wieght curves up and down hill 3&4 at 2000 2100 RPM listen to your engine use your best judgement by how she sounds

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Direct....cause I have a T19 LOL. It feels the best around 2000-2300 rpm's. Also if I was towing a grade, I can hold 3rd gear 3/4 - WOT without worrying about EGT's to aweful much, while holding it at the govenor (62mph). I feel with that combo I could pull up to about 7-8K pounds at those speeds up a 6% grade. I have no idea what EGT's would do with the wastegate unplugged, and would be leary of holding that much boost over a long period of time. Last time I towed 5K pounds up some 6% grades I had a fairly easy time holding 4th gear, but once you fall below 2000 rpm's (55mph) EGT's would go up and speed would start falling, so a quick shift to 3rd would allow me to accelerate up to 62mph and stay there, while EGT's stayed around 1050*.

4.10's with direct would be perfect for towing mountains.

Last edited:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I've been driving all kinda of trucks for almost 10 years. Yes, I tow with my ZF in 5th gear, but that also depends on teh load, speed and road conditions. If I have a car on the back, and I am on a flat highway, overdrive it is.

If I got a dump trailer with 10 000 pounds in it, 4th gear and never over 55MPH. You don't want to get too hyper with any type of load that is heavier than the towing vehicle...your truck.

Now. As far as lugging an engine. You can, but I DO NOT reccomend it with an IDI. I lug the BIG engines at work, because they are DESIGNED to do that...they have a torque rise that is phenomenal. In an ISX for example, as you are running up the highway at 1700 RPM, and you climb a hill...your torque will become greater as the RPM decreases...horsepower don't move the truck up the hill....torque does at this point.

These IDI engines need to spin fast to work efficiently. Run her off teh govenor all day should you wish, it won't harm it. But it won't do anything for mileage. If I am climbing a hill with my truck...no less than 1600 or so, but even at 1600 I am not full throttle...I don't like beating and pounding on stuff even though these engines can take that kind of beating all day long.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I spin it as hard as she wants. :D If she wants to go fast who am I to tell her no? LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lugging an IDI is not an issue per sey. The biggest problem with doing so is you can run into higher EGT's. The Pyrometer is the best confirmation of your gear and engine speed selections. On flat level ground, the Lady Moose has criss-crossed states like Ohio and Indiana pulling a combined 16,000 pounds in double overdrive with the 4.10's. Double OD with 4.10's is about the same as single OD with a 3.55 rear. Likewise the Moose Truck always tows the Moose Tail or the boat (back when it used to do that) in overdrive with those tall tires. At road speeds, this was usually in the 1400-1600 RPM range. Don't be afraid of low RPM's when towing, but let the pyro be your guide. You could use more fuel to turn it slowly than you may at higher RPM's depending.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
mel put it best, I watch egts and speed for gear selection if egts rise without stopping and I cant gain speed mashing the pedal a little we go down a gear, I have personally pulled plenty of miles in 5th but I dont hammer it in fifth with a load. do not expect these to be a speed demon with a load behind them but my truck has never not been able to pull anything I hooked to it, I have no clue what the weights have been but the heaviest I have pulled was either a 32' dual tandem with a d4 dozer and a case 580E backhoe or a 32' dual tandem with about 10,000 lbs of hay plus trailer weight and the trailer was not light because someone had used a piece of 8 inch sch 80 ran through all of the 1/4" I beam cross runners the straighten the trailer after a wreck

both of those I ran 4th at 50-55 mph because I was leary of braking power if I happened to get in a bad situation

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the crew cab, I ran it at 2500 + or - in 4th. Didn't use OD on the ZF5 very much. The camper is about 9000 lbs and the 6.9 seemed to pull best at that RPM and the EGT's stayed reasonable there. Like stated several times above, the speed is something I watch as well. I don't want all that weight needing to stop or slow down from high speed in a hurry. Heavy stuff is hard to stop.

Heath

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I agree with everything that's been said above. My built E4OD will go into OD if I let it on a flat highway towing the trailer, but if I get to a hill I generally drop it out into 3rd locked and I'll stay right around 55 unless I start climbing over 6% grade for a long stretch. After a couple miles of that the EGT's climb up over 1000 and I back out of it. After that, I drop it into 2nd locked around 2600-2700 and roll about 45 with my foot hardly on the throttle. At that point my boost is between 10-15 psi and little modulations of the throttle will keep the EGT's below 1000. I know I can run hotter, but that's the magic mark for me at 1000. I am hoping my intercooler install this year will allow me to change my driving habits some and push the truck more to maintain 55 up over those long passes..

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like others have said it depends on what you are towing. If I have over 8K behind me I rarely see 5th gear, but I have 3.55 gears so my 4th is the same final drive of 5th with 4.10s. 2k to 2300 seems to work great for cruising rpms with a heavy load.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been driving all kinda of trucks for almost 10 years. Yes, I tow with my ZF in 5th gear, but that also depends on teh load, speed and road conditions. If I have a car on the back, and I am on a flat highway, overdrive it is.

If I got a dump trailer with 10 000 pounds in it, 4th gear and never over 55MPH. You don't want to get too hyper with any type of load that is heavier than the towing vehicle...your truck.

Now. As far as lugging an engine. You can, but I DO NOT reccomend it with an IDI. I lug the BIG engines at work, because they are DESIGNED to do that...they have a torque rise that is phenomenal. In an ISX for example, as you are running up the highway at 1700 RPM, and you climb a hill...your torque will become greater as the RPM decreases...horsepower don't move the truck up the hill....torque does at this point.

These IDI engines need to spin fast to work efficiently. Run her off teh govenor all day should you wish, it won't harm it. But it won't do anything for mileage. If I am climbing a hill with my truck...no less than 1600 or so, but even at 1600 I am not full throttle...I don't like beating and pounding on stuff even though these engines can take that kind of beating all day long.

so lugging is being in to high of a gear?

What do you mean by running off governor isnt that at like 5gran/redline?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score

Yes, lugging is too high a gear. If you're giving it more than 3/4 throttle, and it simply isn't accelerating, or it is slowing down. The engine is "lugging," and you need to downshift to give it more mechanical advantage.

Also your IP has a rev limiting "governor" spring inside it. This prevents it from reving over a certain RPM # (depending on your spring) "running on the governor" simply refers to flooring it and letting the engine rev up to where the governor stops it....(doesn't matter what gear you are in) then driving it there. Apparently our engines don't really mind this... but it still gives me the heebie jeebies thinking about doing it.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score

Yes, lugging is too high a gear. If you're giving it more than 3/4 throttle, and it simply isn't accelerating, or it is slowing down. The engine is "lugging," and you need to downshift to give it more mechanical advantage.

Also your IP has a rev limiting "governor" spring inside it. This prevents it from reving over a certain RPM # (depending on your spring) "running on the governor" simply refers to flooring it and letting the engine rev up to where the governor stops it....(doesn't matter what gear you are in) then driving it there. Apparently our engines don't really mind this... but it still gives me the heebie jeebies thinking about doing it.

Exactly. These engines are designed so strongly that they can take it.

And yes, lugging an engine is being in "too high of a gear". However, with the 30 and 40 % torque rises of the larger 13, 14, 15 and 16 liter diesel engines that make 400 - 650 horsepower and upwards of 2000 ft. lbs of torque...being in too high of a gear will get you mileage. There ain't nothing like the sound of a straight piped 15 liter Caterpillar running 1300 RPM up a 6% grade, running 45 PSI of boost and only 750 on the pyro.

Reaction score
Good stuff, thanks.

Most of my towing will be a big Jeep or a small camper, so 6-8k range. Lots of hills out this way but not too many serious grades.
The truck seems happy anywhere north of 1700 rpms. I like 2000-2200 and 55-60 range, but there are times I want a bit more so I don't become a rolling chicane.
2500 gives me 65 in 4th, and it sounds like it'll run that no problem.

Noob question - my 89 is bone stock; no turbo, no turned up pump, no power adders. Do I have to worry about EGTs at all?