Towing in Relation to Boost and EGT

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Alright so I finally did a test run with my truck and roughly a 5000-6500 LB load. I pulled it up the pass here by my house to what she could do. I was a little.... Worried. I understand the hill, 3rd gear 40 MPH no issues, bout 4 PSI and 900-1000 on the EGT's..... Well, I blow a lot of smoke and I feel I should have more boost than 4 psi.... Would turning my pump down a 1/2 flat help at all with this? 5th gear smokes the whole time, which, well, on a 750 mile drive just aint gonna fly haha. What should I do?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
You sure you don't have any exhaust leaks pre turbo? My Banks non wastegate will push 10-12 psi pulling 5000 lbs or so up a grade, or just cruising unloaded on the highway at 80 and some ungodly RPM with my C6. Leaky up pipes cut boost in half or down to virtually nothing is a bad leak. I got a minor leak now and she'll push 3 psi cruising around empty above 2000 RPM, 5-6 when to the floor and with the trailer it only gets to about 7 psi. EGT at top of a long hill regardless of fully functional or marginal turbo is around 1000 at the pedestal and I have to back out sometimes. Anyhow, I'd be checking for leaks as 4 psi sounds low.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking...... I was like 4 PSI up this mountain? How do I check for leaks haha? I guess just watch for smoke or somethin? If I get up on my truck empty I'll get up to..... 7 or 8. Now, this is the hypermax turbo which doesn't have a wastegate obviously. I guess my boost is low and EGT's are high which in my mind says to much fuel? I turned the pump up with the install instructions so..... Whats the best way to hunt for leaks?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Look for soot around connections or any cracks in pipes. LLet it idle and run your hand around connections or any suspected leak, obviously don't touch the pipes, you'll feel the leak blowing out.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would say that its not the amount of fuel, but the lack of air to support the fuel being injected.

up pipe leaks will show itself by black soot. with my stock 093, and leaky up pipes i still get 10 psi.
when to the floor.

look for black soot.

i would add a innercooler to drop the egt's

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes look for leaks, both on the exhaust and the compressed air side. I didn't properly retighten the intake hat to the intake manifold and it cut my boost in half. You could hear the leak, though, a kind of an extra roar. Didn't sound right and I went right back home

Intake restriction (air filter) or exhaust restriction can also cause a low boost situation.

Was this a new or used kit installed? Just wanting to make sure the correct turbo is installed. IIRC, the Hypermax is unusual in it's plumbing and while I can't advise you on them in specific ways, it's probably worth looking at the install instructions and make sure it's all properly plumbed.

Also, verify from a good source what sorts of boost levels you SHOULD be seeing from a Hypermax kit. Not somebody internet WAG but either from Hypermax documents, Hypermax or someone who runs a system like yours.

It sounds to me like the smoke is a product of not enough air, i.e. you set the pump up for a turbo that is designed to push a specific amount of air. If that turbo isn't working as designed, you get smoke. Setting the fuel back might lessen the symptom but it isn't the problem itself. I guess if you can't get to the bottom of the air problem, the short term solution is to turn the pump back.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes look for leaks, both on the exhaust and the compressed air side. I didn't properly retighten the intake hat to the intake manifold and it cut my boost in half. You could hear the leak, though, a kind of an extra roar. Didn't sound right and I went right back home

check this!!! some run rubber 0-rings on the intake. some run a carb gasket.
you need something in between the intake and the hat.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Okay so the intake side of things is fine, I have a rubber O-Ring to seal it. When I first installed it, it was leaking. I knew this because of the small amounts of oil vapor leaking out. I have no more oil vapor leaking anywhere on the intake side. However, I did find soot where the up pipes attach to the manifolds.... I just had them out last weekend to change my clutch but put them on correctly and tightened them correctly so I dunno why it would be leaking, but it is. This is the only place that exhaust is escaping the system. This turbo kit is brand new and was installed/plumed correctly. I am going to play with those up pipes, maybe back it off and try re-seating it again. My timing is at roughly 8 degrees, maybe 9. Don't have the money to rent another meter so I just had to do it off feel. That and I didnt like the meter, was always changing what my degrees were even if I didnt move the pump.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Okay, maybe this will help. Just did a numbers run. So, with the pedal to the floor in 4th gear here is what i was at. 60MPH, 3,000 RPM, 8 PSI Boost, and 1,000 EGT's. I am starting to think that is all this turbo puts out and I have to much maybe.... I am going to call Hypermax on Monday and see what the max Boost is for this kit. Anyone else on this forum have the same kit I do? I wouldn't mind comparing boost and EGT numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online