towing another idi home need advice

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on picking up my new to me 93 extended cab 4x4 f250. I'll be using my 22' pj deck over trailer with a 8500# winch. the plan is to simply winch her on and strap amd chain her. my question is should I winch her up engine first or tail end first? The trailer is a straight hitch set up not a goose neck and I will be pulling her with my 93 idi f250. I will be pulling her 275 miles.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always done engine to the front when hauling a vehicle. The other way around usually puts the weight on the back of the trailer which makes things bounce more.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always done engine to the front when hauling a vehicle. The other way around usually puts the weight on the back of the trailer which makes things bounce more.
X2...whenever possible, you want to have more weight forward of the trailer axles than aft, so you want the engine forward.

What are the trailer axles and brakes rated for?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
post a pic of the trailer.
it really depends on where the axles are located at the center or to the rear.
most trailers are designed for the motor to be forward of the rear axle. unless if the axle position is biased to the rear of the trailer. then, I would load it motor rearwards to lessen the tongue weight.
if the trailer is center axle balanced, then load the truck forwards, a load on the tongue is good.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The axles are rated 7000# a piece. I'm woried that there will be too much tounge weight.

if you have two axles rated at 7k ea. you are in good shape trailerwise. a 22' trailer you can bias the load a little front to rear. if you are rear heavy and the tongue weight is too light, your trailer is going to wag your towing vehicle all over the road.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better to much tongue weight than not enough. To much on the back and the front will sway badly causing possible jackknife. With a 22' trailer you have a little wiggle room to center it, my ext cab is approx 19' bumper to bumper.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Engine front, roll the vehicle as far back on the trailer as practical to modify the tongue weight. In my experience, the F250 tow vehicle will not be very adversely affected even if the tongue weight goes over 1000 pounds. You really really don't want too much weight behind the trailer axles, it is asking for trouble

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been pulling trailers for 35 years and when I was a kid I had this tongue weight thing drilled into me forever!! I was about 12 or 13 at the time and was with my dad hauling cattle with his 14' bumper pull cattle trailer (we still have it) and the cows shifted to the rear of the trailer, making the tongue lighter than the rear. I call it the tail wagging the dog and that is what happened and then to accelerate things the cows weight started shifting side to side as the trailer wagged. Before dad got it shut down we were literally going from ditch to ditch all over the road! :eek: :eek: :angel: :angel: I have never forgotten that lesson.

All the above posters' advice is sound. Always load a bumper pull trailer with at some tongue weight. I like to get about 60% of the load weight in front of the trailer axles

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always go engine first. Then much like Towcat said depending on the trailer setup I adjust accordingly. So i'll pull it up on the trailer and then just creep it forward and watch how the weight shifts. When the tongue weight brings my truck down onto the overloads (about when the truck is level) i usually stop it right there. And please for the sake of others on the road. Don't skimp on the chains and straps. Unfortunatly i've seen trucks strapped to trailers with those chincy 1.5" ratchet straps.

Pictures worth a thousand words.
You must be registered for see images

In the case of the Bumble B tractor i went back axle first. The cast iron axle, liquid filled tires, and cast iron wheel weights weighed a whole lot more than the 4cyl engine.

And if you aren't around to help load sometimes you get stuck with something like this.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Another thing. Tongue laod is nice but always adjust the trailer to where the deck is level. Trailers pull much nicer that way.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's a pic of the trailer. We just unloaded an allis B.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I custom ordered her with a winch plate and winch rollers plus I got folding ramps and the extra wide package added (so I could haul small combines ect. on it). I move quite a few tractors and even a pull behind allis 66 combine with it but they are sort of squat and had lots of room to play with load balance. The way I normally do it is I'll load the tractor engine first up the ramp until the bed of the truck compresses down a good bit. then I chain and strap her down. I'm one of those guys who sort of over does things so I usually have around 8 straps/chains with me at any given time and I'll lock the winch in place with some tension to boot. We started this produce farm several years back and sort of had to learn as you go since there were no other operations like us locally. We've learned alot of new stuff and learn more everyday. I've learned to keep my mouth shut and listen very carefully to the old timer's when they give advice about the smaller (by modern standards) equipment we use, some of the stuff I would have never figured out on my own. But like to get advice from those who have done it before so there are no surprises or at least fewer. There were 3 kids and 2 pigs in the back of that sub, LOL, yes I'm a red neck.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: