Total Diesel Noob - - '86 F250 '92.5 7.3 NA

ormgott

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Just picked up a pretty good condition '86 Extended Cab F-250 Laredo last month with a (as marked on engine label) '92-1/2 7.3. Of course... started fine for first couple of weeks ;). Now, cranks fine but no fire. Going to install an electric pump next weekend (Seachoice Duralift 2033). In normal times I'd call a buddy over who's a good mechanic but with the current health stuff going on he can't come over. (Not sure about his diesel chops anyway tho...) Hope to pick up enough info from wise elders to figure it out :Thumbs Up (OK, I'm likely one of the elders, just not wise!) In case there's someone near here who feels like masking up, swinging by and mentoring an old dog in new tricks I'd be ecstatic :thanks:

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oil Burners ormgott! How full is your fuel tank? Your shower head maybe the problem. I know this makes no sense so do a search for 'show head'. and you will find out how this will cause a no start condition. :Thumbs Up

ormgott

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!
Already learned about that one and a) both tanks are full, b) Rear tank doesn't feed. Getting fuel to the filter, Schrader valve squirts, but apparently drains back if not cranking. Tried the WD40-as-starting-fluid...no joy. It's annoying 'cause it was running excellently when I got it

ormgott

Reaction score
Oh, and yes I believe the dreaded shower head dropoff is a factor if the tank goes below 1/3-1/4. (Another easy-with-a-friend... haul the bed off and fix, pain in the tail by yourself)

nhwrench01

Reaction score
Welcome the the forum! lots of great guys/gals here willing to help.
Ive been a auto/heavy truck tech all my life (53 years old now, wow) and im still learning things.
one thing that i wonder is, your truck is a 86 with a 92 1/2 7.3? someone did a swap at some time..sssoooo,,, that's a hole can of worms.. not bad, just different..
if you go with a electric pump, just go with a holley red, i went with another brand, ,,,, waste of money.
also, you should check for battery power at your fuel shut off on your injection pump with your key on.. if its still a problem, you can post on another page here for lots of tips and ideas...

ormgott

Reaction score
Checked the shut off solenoid and it clicks if I remove the connector with key on. Don't want to take up too much bandwidth on the Introduction section, so Ill shift to a more appropriate one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7