Scarlet Moose

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the sickness you get when your dad has 4 diesels and your brother has one also. LOL

Maybe I should change my name to 5PennsylvaniaIDI's. lol

Anyway, the true irony of course is that Graham has a title to his truck. :rolleyes: We hope to see one for the Night Moose this week. All that aside, Graham's new truck the Scarlet Moose, needs a few things, and being a young pup on a very tight budget, he is hoping the brotherhood might be able to help him out. Most of this truck is in top shape, but the previous treatment it recieved interior wise, makes you think the gorrila's who did the samsonite comercials back the the 70's lived inside.

The turn signal/horn functionality in the column is destroyed. They put a push button on the dash to make the horn work. Guess they never had a use for the cruise control. cookoo

Needed - 1986 TILT WHEEL column turn signal/emergency flasher/steering wheel commutator assembly with intact wiring harness. If anybody has an 80-86 tilt wheel column laying around, this would have what we need in it. We took our spare non-tilt column apart, and were disappointed to learn it is a completely different part. I'm not sure if it is the same for an 87-91, but this is the tilt wheel where you push the non-descript turn signal lever forward to tilt. It is a semi round disk, held in place by 3 screws, with a wiring harness feeding down through the column to a semicircular double row plug.

Needed - Passenger side mirror, factory west coast style. You'll see which one it is in the pictures. The mirror will not stay in alignment and just flops around.

Needed - Interior front door panels for 80-86 with power windows and locks. Preferably with switches on them. Any color (can't be picky at this stage), but red or tan would be a good match. The problem with these, besides looking pretty bad, is the holes where the switches go... I have no idea what they were thinking.

Wanted - Could use a better egg crate grill than this one.

We've already replaced the dash bezel with an on-hand spare. All the plastic on this thing has been abused, and they also managed to do something I've never seen anybody do... They cracked the dash frame in such a way, that the steel that the parking brake and hood release mount to, is broken away on the drivers side. We have a replacement, but to do it right pretty much the whole dash would have to come out. Not sure we are up to that just yet. Might try to JB-Weld it or MIG it somehow.

I got to see first hand the mentality of the previous owner, who drives an over the road truck. Now, as near as I can tell, this was his wifes truck. They parked it 2 years ago, so it sat for a long time. They say the rear tank is full of fuel, but haven't been able to verify that yet. The front tank had 1/4 tank, and the selector valve doesn't work. No doubt the front tank pickup has rusted and broken. They ran it out of fuel parking it in their yard, but didn't realize this until we came to pick it up. He commented that it started to sputter just before he shut it off. Well, we cranked it and I could tell it wasnt' getting fuel. Confirmed it with air coming from the schrader valve. He put 5 gallons from a can in it, and without an electric pump, I knew it would have to be cranked a while. He starts unscrewing the air filter, and I'm like "what are you doing?" he's like I'm gonna spray either in it. I say What for, he says to get it started. I said, but it won't run without fuel. We gotta get fuel to it first. "Well this will help" he says. I said "screw that back on there! No diesel of mine needs either!" I could already tell the glow plugs were fine. So he goes and gets his filter strap to take the fuel filter off. "What are you doing now?" "I'm gonna fill the filter". I'm not impressed with his craftsmanship already, and I've got nothing but visions of dirt going in this filter if it comes off, so I said "That's OK!" This will fill just fine on it's own. I had to shoe him away from the schrader valve, cause the only time he would push it in, was when we were NOT cranking it, consequently letting more air back IN than what was coming out. Once I got him out of the way, we got it running in short order. Since we were only about 3 miles from home, we drove home with no plates, and just the little bit of fuel he put in. So as you can see, there are lots of things to address. Including solveing the mistery as to why it took about 2 or 3 gallons of coolant to top off the system before we left his house. Hopefully it just evaporated from sitting, or there is a pinhole leak in the rad, which doesn't look real good. I have no doubt it will provide Graham the cooling that he needs to idle around the neighborhood in the short term. A little blue smoke out the exhaust on the way home, but it cleared up, reached operating temp, and ran smooth as silk with no weird noises the whole way home. Exhaust at idle is clear and smells good. I'm optimistic this will be a good runner.
You must be registered for see images

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Well there goes 2 dreams of mine. No stock in '09 and I was holding out hope that the younger boy would break free from the moose nomenclature. Maybe Elk or Bison.

tknomaj

Reaction score
Well there goes 2 dreams of mine. No stock in '09 and I was holding out hope that the younger boy would break free from the moose nomenclature. Maybe Elk or Bison.

If You were Mel's Son would You seems mel has cut a pretty wide path for them to follow and Hell he is almost Royalty. So let him bask in the sun for a while. Put money on it Mel is as Proud as can be and rightfully So. Congrats to all in the MOOSE household and Mel needed some thing to keep him from taking the Moose truck apart and returning it to stock Maybe he will get over it .

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needed - Passenger side mirror, factory west coast style. You'll see which one it is in the pictures. The mirror will not stay in alignment and just flops around.
Mel, I think this is called a towing mirror, west coast are the ones that are like what big trucks use, with the double A-frames below and above the side windows. Too bad I no longer live in the Detroit area, or I'd have a mirror heading your way tomorrow afternoon, that's how good junkyards they got there!

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck I bet your pretty stoked to have your boys following in your footsteps. I can't wait to see the progress and the finished product of the "Scarlet Moose"

Oh and in regards to the parts you need I'd check out LMC or National Parts Depot, I know NPD has a TON of good stuff for our trucks thy have a Catalog dedicated to the 84-96 I believe

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel,
I'm not sure, but I have an 85 supercab cab at my parents' home. I think, I have the power window switches. Maybe. I'll call my Father and see. If I do, you can have em. Sorry no door panels.
Jerry

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We used to say it all the time.

The Mini Moose

It was a fine truck for a gasser. That is, until some idiot in a Subaru Forrester pulled right into my path at 40MPH. The Ranger won, but the damage was great enough to total it. I got my legal education thanks to that wreck.

I would have jumped on that diesel Ranger, had it not been for the loan Graham just got. LOL

Yes, my boys honor me all the time. I'm very proud to call them mine. Sorry Barney. They don't call this Moose Valley for nothing. LOL

OK on the towing mirrors. We appreciate all the help we can get.

sootman73

Reaction score
hey those little rangers are awesome and can be pretty quick. they run like 22 pounds of boost! my friend used to have one. he put a block of wood to increase fuel in the boost aneroid. really smoked and made a huge difference in low end power. he could get going to like 80-90 pretty quick IIRC. all this and still 45mpg!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang Mel, I would have thought You would have bought Him this 87 Ranger IDITurbo> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0325931275&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

Don't know why they are listing that as a caddy engine. Thats a mitsubishi 2.3L SOHC diesel. Not a powerhouse but in such a small and light truck, it moves as well as a V6 but with more useable torque. Although they can be built up as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oAGPgaE1Pw

The head bolts on that little 2.3L sucker are probably stronger than on a 6.9. Intercooler is recommended.
I rebuilt one of those engines for my sister's ranger.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Mel one thing on the RV/Towing mirrors. There are two different mounting brackets for them. The early ones(IDI) have 3 mounting bolts on the top mounting flange(for lack of a better word) and the newer ones have 2 mounting holes. The angle from the door mount out to where the mirror head mounts are different too. Just FYI.

Diesel_Eagle

Son of the Moose
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys...and im sorry to disappoint those who wanted the Scarlet "Elk" or deer but it just wouldn't work. I would really appreciate any parts i can get my hands on so i can get this truck to tip top conditions:Thumbs Up Thank u all for ur support!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online