Torqueing used head bolts 6.9

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My resource saids 75 new reused 80. Get a bottoming tap and clean the threads in the block and make sure all surfaces are spotless using a solvent like laquer thinner to clean everything. Use thread lubricant sparingly and follow the 4 step sequence for proper torquing.
You must be registered for see images attach

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Factory spec is 75, but everybody who runs a turbo torques to 85 on new bolts, and you'll swear they are gonna snap at any moment. Aint no way I'd take used 6.9 head bolts past 85, but if they are used, they are stretched already, and if you don't take them past 85, they aren't going to have any kind of longevity. Hence, I'd never re-use head bolts on a 6.9. Studs is a diffferent matter completely.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Mel. If it were me, I'd get new bolts at a minimum, but I actually used new ARP head studs on my 6.9.
Heath

Last edited:

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the 7.3? I am reusing mine for now. Also I just have a cheap torque wrench I am curious as to how accurate it will be. I should be getting my stuff by Friday and starting to put it together on Saturday. Its taking alot of time because I am painting everything seperately. The heads are a pain to paint.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
What about the 7.3? I am reusing mine for now. Also I just have a cheap torque wrench I am curious as to how accurate it will be. I should be getting my stuff by Friday and starting to put it together on Saturday. Its taking alot of time because I am painting everything seperately. The heads are a pain to paint.

Like i just stated i re used bolts and i have seen 18psi on occasion and around13-15 daily, i thought my headgasket was pouring oil but it was actually my injection pump pouring out fuel again:puke: so far so good on my re-used bolts and high boost

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking that there would be a different torque for the 7.3 then what the smaller 6.9 bolts use.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I was just thinking that there would be a different torque for the 7.3 then what the smaller 6.9 bolts use.

Yes there is actually a different torque, but i cant remeber it and i cant find my shop manual at the moment