Torqe head bolts wet or dry?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I torque my head bolts should I put oil on the threads or leave them dry? I've always thought you put oil or assembly lube on threads when you torque them but I have heard people say otherwise.

-Rob

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I always run a tap into the holes to make sure they are clean then coat the threads in regular motor oil. Also make sure that the flange under the head of the bolt has some oil on it. The friction of dry torque will throw the hwole reading off before the bolts are properly tightened. The only bolts that torqu dry are galvanized bolts and bolts with pre applied loc tite.
Ken

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All torque values are absolutely defined assuming you have oil on the threads!

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, thats what I thought.

Thank you guys, now back to assembling the engine as soon as I figure out proper rod orientation, read post "quick engine assembly question" if you have any input.

-Rob

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'd like to add this to the discussion. I installed ARP studs inplace of the head bolts. They told me the torque value with oil or there Molloy lube.... The oil torque was 130 lbs and the ARP Molloy lube was 100 lbs. Now thats really a differance. They also told me to torque the studsdown and loosen them 5 times to set them as a pair.. Thats a nut, stud and washer. I thought this was bunk but it sure worked. After doing this 5 times per stud (yes I was tired) the nut walked almost 3/4 revolution around the stud. What this does is breaks down the friction causing black ozide coating found on the parts. I really learned something here. So, yes using something on the threads is very important. I would be really suspect about who told you to do it dry. I'd also like to see there motor running too....:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The type of lube that you use will make a big difference on the torque reading. for factory bolts, the book calls for 30 wt oil on the threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online