tooldiscounter.com - Great customer service

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a bummer. Ordered my Ferret adapter (whomever screwed up the meter rental program owes me for this!) and a compression tester.

Doh! We are having a high pressure front moving through but this doesn't seem quite right. LOL
You must be registered for see images attach

I don't expect a supplier to open up factory packaging and check for something like this. I called tooldiscounter and they are shipping another out today and issuing a call tag. I really can't expect better service than that. So kudos to them for taking care of business.

Question for the group. Would you use this and subtract 135 psi from all the reading while waiting for the replacement?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try it not gonna hurt anything if it's like 600 you would be 465 which is good.

Reaction score
Does it come with other adapters? Just wondering if you could baseline it off something where you know the pressure, like a tire or something.

Mike

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn mike. You're a genius. I will see if i can't dead head my compressor and compare the readings.
Only adaptor is the one i ordered for our glow plus which isn't listed correctly on their site but i was able to find the part number elsewhere

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
First off, if you push the button. does it release any left over pressure in it that might have been left over from factory testing and having been shipped from a location in a different part of teh world? Second, most high end gauges have an adjustment screw on the back ( or front )to zero them out. Is there by chance a screw on that thing that allows it to be zeroed out? I would be really surprized if there wasnt

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn mike. You're a genius. I will see if i can't dead head my compressor and compare the readings.
Only adaptor is the one i ordered for our glow plus which isn't listed correctly on their site but i was able to find the part number elsewhere

Could you link me to the adapter I'd need on their website?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yowen,
Someone should confirm this will work. But here is the one I found to be for our motors and the Chevy 6.2/6.5
http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=STATU-15-1A

RLDSL,
Tried that. Even put the adapter in it and pressed the schraeder and the button to see if the button was wonky. No dice. This entire unit cost less than I would expect to pay for a nice gauge. It has the standard two screws on the back that hold them together and a foil sticker over a hole that says, "safety hole." No screws there. If I was the mfg, I'd be embarrassed to put my name on it too. :D I think that some company in China subbed it out. :LOL. Upside is the rest of it appears to be high quality.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my new* compression tester today. Pulled it out of the box and, the gauge reads ZERO. Yay!

Hmmm, that doesn't look quite right. Better look at it from a different angle

It looks like the needle is stuck behind the stop pin. Let's pop the front off and see what happens

If I didn't know better I would think they had popped the needle behind the stop pin and sent it back to me. However, I have the original one still sitting here waiting on UPS to pick it up. Looking at the whole package, with the oil stained label on the outside, the slightly bent gauge face and the sticker peeled up on the safety hole, I am of the opinion that someone put the needle behind the stop pin and returned it.

So, anyone see a reason to not put a liquid filled gauge on a compression tester? I'm just going to find a gauge locally and not deal with this hassle. The rest of the tool seems of pretty reasonable quality.

If you're going to buy a TU-15 compression tester....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that's a :kick: !!!

Something tells the the quality control at the gauge manufacturer is less than a priority.LOL

Sucks you had to deal with all that nonsense. Hopefully you can find a quaulity gauge locally.

Heath

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez. Looking like this thread may need a title edit.......

Mike

Just keep sending the gauges back, that'll prove just how good the "customer service" is.
Third time is a charm, might wake up the guy that packs them.

Easier to send it back than EDIT the title. :rotflmao

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check but I bought an adapter and gauge from somewhere, I think its the same place. Worked once then halfway on second cyl then blew the oring and the gauge

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to follow up on this. I contacted the seller and let them know what had happened. They checked all of there inventory and found several others like this that they pulled. They contacted the supplier and found there had been a bad run of gauges. They found me a good one and shipped it priority. I'm completely satisfied with their communication and efforts while sorting this out.

Yowen, the adapter I linked did work on all 8 cylinders with the ip lines installed. Definitely a pita as the quick lock on the tester has to be pulled back while installing it in the adapter. A couple of small monkeys would have helped.

Rhk, you didn't possibly remove the tester from the adapter while it was pressurized? I did that on one cylinder and it was like a 22 going off. Fortunately I was able too find the undamaged o ring and reinstall it.

For the price and the infrequent use it will see, it is a good value

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a guy wanted to rig up a cheap compression test gauge can I just get a good air pressure gauge thats good to 500 PSI and a braided line to fit and then a fitting to fit a glowplug hole?? Will this also work the same on a PSD??