Too much fuel....

pfarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Banks 6 gun on my pick up. Recently, it's started to smoke..really heavy, really black. I haven't thought about taking the Banks unit off, but I will if I'm going to screw up my pick-up. My boost is okay right now, but slow to build until the crap gets blown out. EGT's are from 900 (normal) to 1050 on the high side (no towing) and coolant issues (puking coolant, a question asked earlier..) are not present...thank God. I drive about 300 miles a day, at 70 to 85 mph... and don't have a smoking problem at high speeds while maintaining speed. Experienced the tranny slipping a few times (pushing the foot feed from 70mph to a higher speed in a rush) which scared the crap out of me, but nothing else. The smoking issues start when I'm in traffic and forced to keep it slow and when I have to accelerate from slow to moving out in a hurry. My husband says it's "just getting too much fuel", not to worry. I'm worried. I originally posted this thread in "performance accessories" and was encouraged to move it here. I don't care where it's posted, as long as someone is willing to tell me what they think is going on with my pick-up. Banks said "set 'er on 5 and go". I'm not comfortable with the answer. Spent way too much time and money and would appreciate any meaningful input.

Priscilla

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
Looks like you have some nive stuff on your truck already. Spend a little more money, sounds like you need a little more boost & for it to come on quicker. Might look at Banks Intercooler & a different impeller wheel/ turbo.

pfarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too much fuel

Plumberman...

Thanks for the "start-at-the-beginning" reality check. I spent a bunch of time today talking to Banks and to a few Ford techs. Turns out that Ford has two tech bulletins out right now. One for the EGR valve (to clean it) and one to clean the carbon build up out of the turbo. Ford said they're having a few 6.0's coming in right now for the same thing, just like yours. On the fantasy side of life, I would love to upgrade the turbo and might eventually get that done..... when my warranty is out and when replacement aftermarket turbos get easier to find. I heard that Bean is working on one for my 6.0 and expects to have it out next month.

Thanks again.

pfarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hot Dog!! Just got back from the Ford house. EGR valve. Problem solved and fixed. Thank y'all for listening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online