to much crankcase pressure

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey fellas been awhile.
anyways I have finally decided to find a solutiom to my crankcase pressure problem. in short there is to much since it is blowing apart the oil pan gasket. I routed my breather sytem to a road draft tube/breather style because of my intercooler. the oil kept on making the boots fall off. the engine has 50k on a fresh rebuild so I know its not the rings, and sob runs great.

I need some help on what other guys have done, and what has worked. I havent fixed it since it has affected its driving maners, but everyone seems to know where I park. there might a small leak from the lift pump, but thats going to changed when I go electric. I have another set of valve covers to put in off a 7.3 non turbo, and put my on breathers on both them since I think my stock one on driver side from the factory is not cutting it.

any thoughts?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too much crank case pressure is caused by blowby past the rings.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Too much crank case pressure is caused by blowby past the rings.

These engines always have blow by past the rings, just like every piston engine ever built...
But the CDR alleviates the problem, it's just that he has removed his CDR system.

Some people have routed it into the exhaust post turbo, and used the velocity of the exhaust gasses to pull it out.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what I am thinking next, into the exhaust. would it worth putting some new other valve cover breathers on my spare set of valve covers? if not I probaly going to sell them, and use the stock cdr into the exhaust.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its about an inch and haft in dia. I routed down under the cab on driver side.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How easy did you break in the engine after the rebuild. These engines will work better if you put them to work earning their keep. Just easy street driving will load up the rings and cylinders with a varnish thats sometimes impossible to burn off. Put a load on the engine. Tow something heavy up a grade. Burn off the varnich on the rings and cylinders. These engines were designed to work and not cruise around town unloaded. As posted above. Any oil pan gasket is the wrong thing to do. The factory used an RTV and thats what everyone is told to do. Sorry you didn't get that memo. Just because some aftermarket gasket builder is selling this is no reason to use it. Now the only way to fit the leaky oil pan is pul the engine. Put it in a stand. Flip it unside down and clean off all the mess. Apply a quality RTV like permatex ultra copper plus. Make sure the ends are cleaned really good where the three differant pieces of sealing surfaces come to meet. If any oil is in those tiny seams you will have another leak. BTW I have never had a pan leak using the copper plus rtv on any engines I have built. Hylomar is an expensive aircraft sealant but it works very well. So good that Rolls Royce has used it for years on the jet engines they sell to all the industry.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I can tell you is that if your running a turbo on your engine, excessive crankcase pressure will result in seal failure in your turbo in a very short time ...
I have a 2.2 liter Isuzu in a 92' Toyota Four runner and I put a turbo on it from a 87 Subaru gasser and it runs great and gets great fuel mileage ... 47 on highway .. about 38 city but I cant keep oil in it ... it blows it out the vent tube ... and it also knocked out the seal on the intake side of the turbo ... it was losing so much oil that it tried to run away on me I never thought about doing a ventury into the exhaust.. would you have to put a check valve in it to keep exhaust pressure from building up into the crankcase?

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the break was good, and if it was that bad it wouldnt run as good as it does.

for the exhaust i was going to add breather in between the road draft tube and the exhaust pipe. thus not putting extra preassure on the system

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use a catch can. should help the oil puddle. and use big tubing. the slower the velocity the more oil can accumulate before leaving the system. i'm putting my crank case evac into my down pipe soon. just got a few more important things first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker