Tires...beating a dead horse again...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alright I need some new tires pretty quick. I'm going to make a couple runs from to and from Tx, so I will need them in the near future.

I need to know what kind of tires your running, size, do you like it, wear, traction in different kinds of things (snow, mud, ect)...and price.

I would like to stick with a AT tire, I want it to be good offroad, but I dont want it to howl going down the road. I'm going to be towing a ton of crap with my truck, so E load rating will be a must. Price, anything at or below BFG T/A price ($250ea)...and dont try to sell me those tires again, talk about crap -cuss. Something that will also last a good time...40k+ maybe.

Dont want a MT, just a AT, with a decent tread for onroad, and ok for offroad.

Any suggestions?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Alright I need some new tires pretty quick. I'm going to make a couple runs from to and from Tx, so I will need them in the near future.

I need to know what kind of tires your running, size, do you like it, wear, traction in different kinds of things (snow, mud, ect)...and price.

I would like to stick with a AT tire, I want it to be good offroad, but I dont want it to howl going down the road. I'm going to be towing a ton of crap with my truck, so E load rating will be a must. Price, anything at or below BFG T/A price ($250ea)...and dont try to sell me those tires again, talk about crap -cuss. Something that will also last a good time...40k+ maybe.

Dont want a MT, just a AT, with a decent tread for onroad, and ok for offroad.

Any suggestions?

well right now im using my 3year old maxxis buckshot mudders there a mud terrain and i think E load range might just be D load, they have somewere around 20,000 miles on them all of which were mostly towing miles 3 tires have 70% tread left one has about 40 % you can probly guess which one that is:D the one my big foot is always in:sly:rolleyes: and suprisingly you can barely hear any roar at all, i paid 150 each for 285/75/16's 3 years ago at a local tire shop for them they go good on and off road no problem so far

now i have also run maxxis all terrain tire that was gave to me and for the life of me i cant remember there name, they were about 70% worn out the seem to be a good all terrain tire, they go good off road to be worn out and the ride great

When i bought my white truck it came with kelly safari msr there kinda a mud terrain tire but kinda an all terrain not sure how many miles were on them but they were all most worn out and they were absolutly great off road!

My buddy has 33-1250-16.5 dunlop radial rover a/t on his idi and there good tires off road and make absolutly no noise on the road and ride great

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michelin LTX M/S They are definitely more of a highway tire, but if you want longevity under a heavy truck, they'll suit you.

I still really like my BFG's, what's your issue with them?

Ryan

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
BFG AT Crap,..? :dunno

That is the only tire that I recommend, I have had great success with them as have my whole family for YEARS. My brother has gotten 60K out of them 3 times on 2 different trucks. You have to maintain the correct tire pressure, and rotate them. but they wear like iron, are great on snow, on as well as off road. Not so good in deep mud. And they are a great looking tire.

I have them on my Truck, Camper and my Jeep. If I could put them on my wifes Volvo V70 all wheel drive wagon I would.

So there is my recommendation! :D

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say BFG A/T also. I have a set on the 86 gasser that are 35/12.50/16 and they have almost 50k on them and still have about 70% tread.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In response to Darrin's post....

Well now you've probably just confused the hell out of him!!!! Cuz if he's like me I can't tell how you feel at all about those tires from that post??!!! :dunnocookoo You definately need to do a better job explaining how you feel!! LOLLOL:D

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure he is really good at explaining how he feels. For goodness sake his wife drives a Volvo. :D LOL just kidding

suv7734

Reaction score
I'm going to be towing a ton of crap with my truck, so E load rating will be a must.
Any suggestions?

Don't be too concerned with the 'D' vs 'E' so much as the actual load capacity marked on the sidewall. I have seen 'D' rated tires that have a higher weight capacity than some 'E' rated tires.
I have had great luck with the BFG AT tires (285-75x16 and 35-12.5x16.5), good mileage and not too noisy. I have also used Toyo AT's and had good service out of them as well.
I had a set of Bridgestone AT's for a while on my dually but they didn't last very long.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I live on a gravel road. BFG's throw rocks like no tommorow. Since they are wider than the fenders, they fling it at the fenders, and all the paint chips show it. I have rotated them fairly good, I could have done better. I have about 25K on them, and they are around 30% tread. They were alright in mud, though there is room for improvement.

I just did not like how they wore at all. Maybe I just had a bad batch? Lastly, the price...for what they cost I would like to have seen 40K out of them, I doubt I get there and if I do its going to be pushing it real close.

But...it doesnt help my truck has horrible alignment thanks to the TTB, it needs to be aligned again, all the tires show the outside edge wore more than the inside.

I just think for the price, there is something better out there. I want some opinions on other tires...perferably ones that dont throw those rocks! Its like nails on a chalk board to me when I get out to the highway LOL

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
here the thing if you want something for mud you got to have an open tread desighn the more open the more and the bigger rock they throw, my maxxis buckshot dont pick up rocks they pick up boulders when they fling them it sounds like the truck is comming apart:eek: so if you dont want to pick rocks up then you probly need a road tread, but then you wont have much mud capability so your going to have to sacrifice somewere

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
pro comp ex. a/t's i love them and they last around 50,000 mile's:hail. they work great for all around stuff and do great in the snow.;Sweet and the cost is fair

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
dyoung is spot on. I don't know of any decent traction AT or MT that does not throw some form of rock. I love my Goodyear MTR's they are a great tire. Expensive but I wanted to try something different than the rest of my family. They are surprisingly quiet for a mud tire too. Much quieter than a BF Goodrich MT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online