Tire sizes for 16x10 rims?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
What is the best size for greatest fuel economy that will fit on these? Came with the new truck, currently have lt265/75/16 on them.

I know that smaller footprint=less rolling resistance, but I have been confused as to what the smallest footprint I can get with these.

Would I be better off switching over to steelies and 235/85's? I really like the look of the rims but this truck is destined to a highway star possibly with a slide-in camper in the future, so MPG will win out over looks.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I wouldn't put anything narrower than 285's on a rim that wide. The 285's will hold more weight @65psi than the 235's will @90psi. They ride immensely better on the road and the mileage difference is hardly noticable. I log and document every full up for mileage. Had 235-85-16 Toyo M55 tires with 25% tread and bought 285-75-16 Cooper Discoverer AT3's. My Coopers are on 9" rims and look great. The Toyo tires were on 7" steel rims, wouldn't recommend them on the 9 or 10" rims at all.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Oh yeah, if you like the looks of these rims, might as well show them off a little with a few pics........LOL;Poke

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What ^^^ He said... ;Poke

If going camper and weight, want less rolling resistance and not too wide... 155x85x16 on 8" rim...

Those rims are way to wide for your goals, you need to package them up and ship to me at US zip 98844 then I'll put them to good use with some 38" tyres maybe some 14.5 wide for wheeling...and my 255's for day to day use..

Just saying...

They are not suitable for the application you want to use them for.

JM2CW

Al

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 315's on 10" rims on my van. The narrowest tire anyone would comfortable mount for me was a 305... You MIGHT be able to get away with 285's, but I don't know that I would. I ended up going to an 8" rim so I could get a narrower tire. For me it was a bit of a bummer, as I really liked the way the 10" rims looked but they weren't very functional for me.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you go to www.tirerack.com and look up the tires you are interested in, then click on specifications, they will list tire diameter, width, recomended rim size, etc. Very handy.

I am looking at doing something similar. I traded for some 16x10 rims. looking at tires, just may be awhile as I just put new 235/85 x 16 on my stock rims and don't really want to pay out for new tires with new ones on the truck.

The new rims have 305/70's and look pretty good. My boss just put 285/70's on 17" rims for his son. Look pretty good. I don't think I would go that small on 10" rims, but who knows. Tire Rack lists most tires for a 10" rim at the 315/75 size and max for 285/75 is 9".

Last edited:

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Oh yeah, if you like the looks of these rims, might as well show them off a little with a few pics........LOL;Poke

Yeah. I probably should have. These are the beasties in question:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

You guys have been very helpful! I think I'm gonna swap them over to the old truck to help it sell quicker, and then get some new 235/85s for the steelies and put those on the new truck. I'm not looking forward to doing the entire swap-out with only hand tools and a 2.5 ton jack.

UNLESS...someone wants to trade with me for a set of good steelies w/good 235/85s??

Last edited:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
That's not a bad looking rim at all, hard to believe they got 265's to seat on there.:eek: The 265's look nice on your rig, just really need an 8" rim to be safe with that size.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not a bad looking rim at all, hard to believe they got 265's to seat on there.:eek: The 265's look nice on your rig, just really need an 8" rim to be safe with that size.

Not just any 265s either, these IQ champions used passenger-car tires too! So now we have a lousy sidewall on a stupid-wide (for the tire size) wheel...

How big of a slide-in camper are we talking btw? Cause a slide-in camper is one the easiest ways to overload an axle so bad it ain't funny - nowadays small doesn't mean light, and anything over 9ft (floor length) is about guaranteed to max out your rear GAWR. LT235/85-16E is a 3000lbs tire, 265/75 is rated at 3400lbs, and 285s are even higher. That's a big difference, and even if your wheels are only rated at 3000lbs (which is the case with factory 16x7 steelies) you should still run the strongest tire you can find for them. Some people with larger campers upgrade to 19.5" Rickson wheels so they can run medium-duty tires and sleep well knowing that it won't be the tires and wheels sidelining them on their next trip with the beast loaded in the bed.

Personally I wouldn't run 235 rears unless it's either a light pop-up going in the bed, or there are four of them on the same axle. 235s on the front should be fine tho, and IMHO they fit better on the narrow steelies than 265s. And for the steer axle you want the best fit possible. So my suggestion would be to run 235 fronts and 265 rears on factory steel wheels - the 235s can go on the older 6"-wide steelies, but the 265s would require the newer 7"-wide steelies.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
How big of a slide-in camper are we talking btw? Cause a slide-in camper is one the easiest ways to overload an axle so bad it ain't funny - nowadays small doesn't mean light, and anything over 9ft (floor length) is about guaranteed to max out your rear GAWR.

I'm not sure how big because I haven't found the right one yet, but the smaller the better. It will only be my wife, my dachshund, and me, and minimum requirements are: one bed, a toilet, indoor shower, water heater, fridge. Everything else is negotiable. I will be mindful of the GAWR, and if it turns out a pop-up is all that it will carry, so be it. Truth be told, this whole plan is to get my wife to enjoy camping and traveling (and save money on hotels.) I am not completely ruling out a small travel trailer if a suitable slide-in can't be found. In fact, this truck came with a tr. brake controller, so maybe it's trying to tell me something...

LCAM-01XA said:
Not just any 265s either, these IQ champions used passenger-car tires too! So now we have a lousy sidewall on a stupid-wide (for the tire size) wheel...

Yeah, noticed that after I took that pic, the rears have 70-series P tires on them, only the fronts are 75-series LTs.:eek:

So it looks like these rims are white elephants, and they just aren't going to work for what I'm trying to do. Maybe a 315 will work but I'd be losing even more clearance, and things are almost rubbing now unloaded. I also noticed something else: the rims have a max load of 2200 :( stamped on back. So steelies it is...and whatever lucky duck buys the old truck will be getting pretty wheels!

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still recommend a 255 85 16 instead of 235 you will be much happier with the slightly wider and taller tyre and it fits just fine on stock wheels...

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I still recommend a 255 85 16 instead of 235 you will be much happier with the slightly wider and taller tyre and it fits just fine on stock wheels...

I have been looking for that size in a HT but all I've found is MT. The truck is 2wd, not lifted, and kinda pretty still so I don't plan on getting in the mud much with it. Do you know who might sell them in HT?

Right now, I have a deal lined up with a local shop to get 3 Nexen Roadian II HT LT235/85/16-10's, mounted and tax, for $492. I already have a brand-new one of those mounted up already on the old truck, so that seems to be the least expensive way to have a whole set.

I noticed last night that I need a new radiator :puke: too. Found some ugly soldered repairs that were leaking after I started smelling coolant. So the tires are gonna have to wait for a couple weeks at least. The sweet deal I got on this truck is beginning to sour a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat