Tire Opinions wanted!

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I love the Michelin LTX M/S I'm currently running, I don't go off road a lot but they are holding up great, handle good and are relatively quiet, not that you could hear them over the engine anyways!

I run them is LT285/75R16

I'll be installing those on my highway only Duramax when the current set of cheapos are done ;Sweet My dad always had them on his truck and they lasted for bloody ever!

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I know that they arn't a good highway tire, but I ran a set of BFG Mud Terrains last winter.....It was a point and shoot situation. My driveway is REALLY steep, as BigRigTech about it....and even in 8+ inches of un-plowed snow, I just stepped on teh go pedal and away she went.

A set of these will go on the Ford, I've have a knock off set that came with the ranch truck and it never gets stuck! I've pulled a couple Fords on highway tires out of the muck with it though :eek:

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that they arn't a good highway tire, but I ran a set of BFG Mud Terrains last winter.....It was a point and shoot situation. My driveway is REALLY steep, as BigRigTech about it....and even in 8+ inches of un-plowed snow, I just stepped on teh go pedal and away she went.

I'll be installing those on my highway only Duramax when the current set of cheapos are done ;Sweet My dad always had them on his truck and they lasted for bloody ever!

Ran a set of BFG Mud TA"s on Hidalgo, my old IDI crew while I was hotshotting...

Came into California right around Bishop/lee Vining... and drove down to LA.. went through the eastern half of the state, Johnson Valley, etc.. We had 12" of snow fal that night, Hidalgo drove right thriough it with a 61 Chrysler Imperial Convertible on a Uhaul car trailer on the hook, Yes I drove for the conditions, 20-30.. and yes I was in 4 hi.. but.... I never wanted traction.

Good shoes.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
School me about tire size. I have 235-85-16. I know what 16 means but which one is height and which is width? And also what does height and width do for you in terms of load, fuel economy, traction, handling?

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
Firestone Transforce AT Load range E... I've had two sets and got over 135,000 outta the first set on the Yukon. Tread was still okay, just replaced due to age!;Sweet

Don't know if they are rated for our trucks weight though.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
School me about tire size. I have 235-85-16. I know what 16 means but which one is height and which is width? And also what does height and width do for you in terms of load, fuel economy, traction, handling?

235 is your tire width in milimeters, the 85 refers to the sidewall aspect ratio and it means the sidewall height is 85% of the tire width.

In any case - generally the larger the 3-digit number the wider the tire, wider tires make for more rolling resistance and thus increased fuel consumption. Also if we're comparing two tires of the same width but with different aspect ratios, say a 235/70-16 and a 235/85-16, the tire with a larger aspect ratio number (85 in our example) will have a taller sidewall, and since they both go on the same wheel the overall outside diameter of the tire will be larger.

Honestly I think this is a rather silly way of sizing tires, as these numbers really don't telly you much about the tire's actual dimensions - case in point the 235/85-16s that I have in the back of my truck are the exact same diameter as the 265/75-16s that live on the front axle, but you wouldn't know it for sure unless you actually measured them up - yeah, you'll know the fronts are wider than the rears, but that's about it really. On the other hand the 35x14.5x15 Bajas that were on my old mud-slinger made a whole lot more sense to me - 35" diameter, 14-1/2" wide, goes on 15" wheel - nice and simple.

And if you really wanna get lost and confused, there is the matter of load ratings - hell if I know how they determine these, but I know that if you look at two tires with load rating indicated by the same letter (say "D") the larger tire will generally have more load capacity in lbs - for instance 265/75-16D tires can haul more weight on them than 235/85-16D tires, and also more than say 215/85-16E tires. My current steer tires are 265/75-16E and are rated at like 3400 lbs each, my rears are of the 235/85-16E size but since they haven't arrived at the tire shop yet I can't tell you exact load capacity in lbs, I expect around 3000 when in SRW configuration (DRW setups are always a bit less than the SRW number, not sure exactly why tho).

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Oh. well I guess ill just stick to stock its been working for me so far. BTW I run Uniroyal Laredos 235-85-16. Ive had good luck with them for the almost 2 years Ive had them. I probably have another 20k miles on them (40k so far)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you don't really have to stick to factory size if you don't want to. You can run 265/75-16E tires and get another 400-500 lbs (per tire) of load capacity, which is always a good thing IMHO - that's what I have on my front axle, can't use them on the rear tho (duallies) so I run 235/85-16E there, don't care for rotation cause I got highway-rib steers and A/T drivers, but since both sizes have the same outer diameter one 235/85-16E spare will work on both axles just fine. Some people love the 285/75-16 tires on 4x4 trucks cause they're both wider and larger in diameter. On the other hand I think 235s are the best match for the 7" wide factory wheels, for 285s I personally would want some 8" wide wheels, just to avoid funky sidewall geometry...

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run the Nitto Terra Grappler on the IDI and it has been a decent, smooth riding well balanced tire. Goes O.K. in dirt but not happy in mud. Size 315/75-16 .They've got about 30k on them and they are still in great shape. Lots of towing and dirt road miles here.

On the 6.0 I've been running a Cooper Discoverer ATR. It has worn really well but never been as smooth a riding tire as the Nitto. Good packed snow on road traction but terrible once you get into the deeper powdery stuff. Almost at 50k with these will go another 5k. But for farm use they just spin and slip too much.

My next tire purchase will be the Nitto Trail Grappler. Seems to be a good blend of highway with a stronger slant towards dirt/mud than the terra grappler.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Toyo M55 for the win.

little larger than stock here....

http://www.treadepot.com/tire/309470.html?CID=3

stock here...

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....s=Ordern&typ=R-130948&ranzahl=4&nichtweiter=1

towcats suggested size here...

stock height, inch wider tread... shorter sidewall, should corner a skoshe better...

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=209896&InfoID=4278&ShowLarge=True

I would go with the 265/75 or the 255/85

For the money....please tell me that has a tread life warranty???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes