Tire Opinions wanted!

Dillonn

Reaction score
What Kind of tires should I buy?

:yell:Ok guys I need to replace the tires on my 86 f250 6.9 its 2wd and a work truck, I need something a little better than stock rubber but I really don't want the howl of mudders any sugestions would be helpful. The most it sees is dirt and rock roads some mud.:dunno

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a set of BFG A/T imitations on the rear axle when I got the truck, them things wre really worn yet I never got stuck with them. Then I put on whatever highway tires I had laying around, and she was good only for pavement. Now I'm about to spend $700 for a set of four General Grabber A/T 2, they are similar to the BFG A/T KO but the tire place folks say they are a bit less prone to packing with mud and snow.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have quite a few sets of Yokohama Geolander AT-S on the road right now with no complaints. 265-75-16 is the largest I mount on stock Ford F-series rims.

Attachments

• yokogeoats.JPG
    yokogeoats.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 161

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
The AT was the only tire that my dad would run on ris truck to tow the snowmobiles in the winter. It's a half ton chevy, but that thing doesn't mind a foot of snow with the trailer and all 4 sleds on it. This year he put something else on it, but that's because he was low on $$$. I have a set of dean wild cat ATs on my truck, and they ride very nice. Quite too!

PZ

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the Michelin LTX M/S I'm currently running, I don't go off road a lot but they are holding up great, handle good and are relatively quiet, not that you could hear them over the engine anyways!

I run them is LT285/75R16

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the Cooper S/T in 235/85/16 I just had put on, but they may be more aggressive than what you need. Kind of a cross between a mud, high void, and at. Only Coopers and Goodyears are made in the USA if that matters to you. I had a set of BFG at on a toyota, and though they lasted long, thought they were overrated traction wise.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have learned from Towcat that a good tire is a tire that weighs more than the competition. Having gator-skinned two tires and torn up my dually wheel wells, I can verify that the cheap tires are more expensive than the expensive tires. There's nothing like $4,000 worth of body work twice to convince a person of this. A cheap tire will weigh about 40 lbs. while a durable tire will weigh about 60 lbs. Whatever you are thinking of buying, dig down into the tire maker's website to find the weight of the tire. Now, some of you will never see the difference. I do because I run a big camper on the truck and it is heavily loaded all the time. Michelin and Bridgestone make 60lb. tires. I haven't seen the Toyos, but they probably do also.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know on the weight, my new Grabber AT2s (ordered and paid for, waiting on the warehouse now) weigh 51 lbs for the 235/85-16E size. The only A/T tire carried by TireRack that is heavier than that is the Michelin XPS Traction at 56 lbs, but those are so ungodly expensive it ain't funny! Everything else was lighter than the AT2s, and yes there were several brands that are in the low 40s as well...

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire Opinions

Maybe look into the Dynapro AT's. Korean made but nice. Beat out the BFG AT in the four wheeler test and cheap. Had a set of 265/76/16 shipped to my house for 575.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I know that they arn't a good highway tire, but I ran a set of BFG Mud Terrains last winter.....It was a point and shoot situation. My driveway is REALLY steep, as BigRigTech about it....and even in 8+ inches of un-plowed snow, I just stepped on teh go pedal and away she went.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know on the weight, my new Grabber AT2s (ordered and paid for, waiting on the warehouse now) weigh 51 lbs for the 235/85-16E size. The only A/T tire carried by TireRack that is heavier than that is the Michelin XPS Traction at 56 lbs, but those are so ungodly expensive it ain't funny! Everything else was lighter than the AT2s, and yes there were several brands that are in the low 40s as well...

Yup! But they are cheaper than doing body work when cheaper ones gator-skin on you. That was my point.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get some General Grabber AT2's for my truck....but they were pretty much on permanent backorder in 285/75R16 when I first looked at them 2 years ago, and they STILL ARE! ***!

I have some Treadwright tires on mine, I might just order a set of them again except in AT, I dunno.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online