tire off Bead

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
All but one of my tires was leaking around the valve stem so we got all replaced but the last one well we got the valve stem in but the bead came off on both sides of the tire, and we can not get it back on. I thought about the starting fluid trick but Im not to sure. Anyone got tips and tricks?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
ratchet strap works well, be ready to pop it off as soon as the bead seats. use a nice wide strap and put in middle of tread and tighten. will push sidewalls out.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i try not to do that unless last resort. we had a 37 inch superswamper fly about 30 ft in the air after trying that, didnt use much ether, but the can was almost empty, all gas went in. put a 15 inch tear in the sidewall. seated the bead though.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never seen the ratchet strap work on a radial tire. Some claim it works, but radial construction makes the beads roll inward instead of outward. I have done it many times successfully on bias ply tires though.

What size tire are you working with? If it's close, put a bucket or something under the wheel and push the tire down to stick the rear bead and gently pull on the outer tread while filling and see if it will catch.
Travis..

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Lube it up with alot of soapy water, bottom and top of the bead. Dawn dish soap works the best. If that doesnt work your best bet is a tire shop with a cheetah bead seater.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Its a 33x12.5x16.5 tire. Tried the ratchet strap method, almost worked except for where the ratchet part is the tire wanted to crease a little but in all the other spots it was bringing it close to the bead. Maybe tomorrow Ill try the ratchet strap way again. I really dont want to try the ether trick, Im afraid Ill blow my tire up.

We can get the back bead on but it keeps wanting to come back off, maybe were not getting it on all the way.

zrexryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16.5 rims have no internal lip for the bead to stick to and thats going to be a pita to do at home without some sort of means to blow air in it fast. I have done it with an inner tube between the bead and the rim and as it fills it pushes out the tube but it took several times to get in on. Good luck

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
16.5 rims have no internal lip for the bead to stick to and thats going to be a pita to do at home without some sort of means to blow air in it fast. I have done it with an inner tube between the bead and the rim and as it fills it pushes out the tube but it took several times to get in on. Good luck

Well that sucks and explains why it wont stay on the bead! Ill consider your idea.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Do insure the valve core is out, soap up the bead, and use the ratchet strap. If that doesn't work, you need more air.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting a tire swapped the other day the tireman had a big tire laying on the floor trying to blow it up, couldn't get enough air into it fast enough so he took a blower and shot air into it while airing up at the valve stem, damned if it didn't just seat the beads. I said, damn that's a neat trick, he just smiled. If you have one of those leaf blowers try that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online