TIP for Valve Cover Timing/Specs, and Emissions Decals

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Okay, I should have taken pics of this process but I did it in all of about 10 minutes so I'll take pics the next time.
So as all of you probably know the Info decals for the valve covers for these engines are no longer available. Atleast I couldnt find them anyway.
Anyway, I noticed while preparing to refinish the cover with the decals that the decal is actually a printed thick piece of clear plastic, and the plastic with the printing could be carefully separated from the old adhesive.
So I carefully removed both top decal sheets and stripped the cover. I cleaned the decal sheets with some hand soap to be sure all old fuel and oil was removed.
After the cover had adequate time to cure I placed the decal sheets over the cover and masked around the edges of each. Placed news paper where needed to keep over spray off the rest of the cover. Then took a can of pure white rustoleum paint and sprayed one coat into the boxes and let it flash dry for a couple minutes. Then did one more coat of white and made sure it was all good and fresh wet paint and quickly pulled the masking off and then laid the decal sheets down onto the wet white paint. After they are atleast on you have enough time to work them a little bit, get the air bubbles out and center them as best as possible.
And there you have it, GOOD AS NEW decals!

It's the best thing I could think of, and like I said I did it in all of about 10 minutes. The masking and painting part of it anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins

Members online