timing?

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you time one of these suckers???

I cant seem to find anything with pictures and being a van doesnt help much...(cant really see much!)

I know to rotate the pump to the pass side to advance..(its throwing white smoke when you do a hard accelerate and seems kinda doggy..better with the 3in exhaust though!!)

but I cant seem to find the dang bolts to loosen to rotate it...and WHAT all rotates? does the injector line manifold rotate? or do all 8 lines tend to give a little when you spin it?

I know theres 3 9/16 bolts in there somewhere...just cant find them...:dunno

anybody do a writeup with pictures?

EDIT..
or do I need to just turn the fuel up???

and how do I do that??

FOUND ONE..http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5896
but is it the right thing to do??
the engine seems to run just fine..kinda lacks power...and no black smoke (which is mostly good right?)

I gotta get a manual for this thing...

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IP doesn't turn much at all... The 3 nuts are on studs right where the IP mounts to the tower. The one on the passenger side will be real hard to get at past the high idle solenoid.

You will need a special wrench - a 9/16" wrench with the box end ground way down on the outside and sides. Sears has a cheapo brand that I use for "modifying" wrenches.

If you jam your head under the hood with a flashlight you should be able to just see the timing marks on the IP and tower flanges, and the top and drivers' side nuts. (Removal of that stupid black plastic intake thingy is required).

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best way to get it timed is to take it to somebody who has a meter and knows how to use it. Barring that, you can play around with it and do it by ear, but that method is frought with uncertainty. The 3 nuts you need to loosen are the ones that hold the injection pump to the gear housing. You can see the top one easily, right at the top of the pump mounting flange. The other two are at 4 O'clock and 8 O'clock approximately. This article is a good one for turning up the pump. You've brought to my attention the fact that we do not have such an article in our tech library, and will resolve this shortly. Any volunteers?

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
FWIW I go to www.autozone.com to snag pictures and some how-to's while I don't have my Haynes with me. They have a couple nice diagrams of the IP and how it's all laid out in their repair guides online.

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
Check my web site under information document you’ll see “my notes on IP timing". When I did my 93 E-350 I put together some notes that might help you out. The three 9/16” bolts are right were the IP mounts to the timing gear cover. Like Agnem said see if you can find someone in your area that has a meter. I used a luminosity probe on mine; Agnem uses the pulse style adapter. If you see different timing numbers listed it’s because the two meters work differently.

Good luck, 93

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way to get it timed is to take it to somebody who has a meter and knows how to use it. Barring that, you can play around with it and do it by ear, but that method is frought with uncertainty. The 3 nuts you need to loosen are the ones that hold the injection pump to the gear housing. You can see the top one easily, right at the top of the pump mounting flange. The other two are at 4 O'clock and 8 O'clock approximately. This article is a good one for turning up the pump. You've brought to my attention the fact that we do not have such an article in our tech library, and will resolve this shortly. Any volunteers?

Well, I do have a few pictures here and there that I could throw in, and I actually have a "Timing" article that I wrote, but it is more about getting the timing gears aligned when the pump is removed(tower included) than setting the pump timing. I could add a bit on how to set it by "ear" I suppose, but I too don't really endorse this method, as I think unless you really are good at it, you stand to do more harm than good.

..Timing article here...

Zigg :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Staff online