Timing the IDI

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Today I tried to do the timing on My IP since I have replaced the injectors on the engine and did not time the IP after that. The meter I have (MT480) for some reason would not show any rpm readings and the degree gage would go from one end to the other :dunno . I do not know what is the right position for the two switch's on the meter but I tried all positions and still not get any readings. I called Mel for some Help so I could use He's ears and experience and get it back to normal. I advanced the timing from the original mark and lowered the rpms (for some reason it would always idle at 800-900rpm). I can tell there is a difference in power/response now and sure there is a bit more smoke under acceleration, which I do like but I wonder if that will affect the mileage or not as long as I don't floor it all the time. Would advancing the timing increase fuel mileage or decrease?

Any way I like the fact that now id idles lower and seems much quieter than before.

Hope I ca make it to the meeting on Gettysburg and get it timed right again.

EZ.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EZ, maximium power and economy are achieved with the right timing. Too far either way will hurt one or both. I suspect your in the zone on your current set up. We'll confirm at the Gettysburg meet in a few weeks.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well so far the new timing by ear did work, I have driven the truck unloaded and today pulling 22k pounds. I must say it does seem to have more power and better response, the egt's are lower and the boost a bit higher. Engine temp can't pass 210 for now.

I still could not use the mt480 meter, I don't think it works well since it would not show any degree readings nor rpm :dunno .

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. A friend and I just timed mine with an adjustable strobe timing light and an MT254 and luminosity probe. We set both our trucks to 1.5ATDC at 1400RPM. Actually Rick must have a good ear cause his was already right on the money...by ear. We'll see how that serves me. Seems real good for now. Maybe you can find out how close you are with Mel's meter, or maybe you can borrow a luminosity probe or get a good deal on one sometime.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I already have the lumy probe and all the parts but I can't get the rpm gage to work right. The fuel mileage also has improved a bit to My surprise.

Adrianspeeder
I usually tow brick, scaffold, brick lock, sand, remainings from another Chimney, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online