Timing meter question

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
I have a kent moore knock off from tinytach.com. uou these from time to time on ebay.

My question is have any of you had trouble with the mag probe not fitting the bushing on the timing cover? I cleaned it out with a 5/16" drill bit but the probe still wont go in...

Any input would be helpful

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a sun, Rotunda knockoff. It had a cir-clip on the prob yours could be different. Made it difficult to install, but would hold the probe at any set distance from the damper. Check the cir-clip, may be deformed. Might just take a little extra push to get the clip into the hole. I ended up removing it, probe still fits tight enough that it stays in place.
I can tell you more in a week just picked up a tiny tach meter from ebay after seeing this post.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
It wont even go down that far....i thought about that...i actually ended up destroying a probe on a different truck because it got stuck in the ferrule. Im wondering if the probe is just too big for the hole slightly

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aw come on. Take your mic's and check the probe dia. Ya still in FW?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Ya ya bill i hear ya LOL...just being lazy i guess. Im back and forth. Everything still up in the air. My family is here at least until june...beyond that the jury is still out.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Damn it Bill....lol grabbed the digi caliper....the probe is 8mm not 5/16" which means its about .003" too big for the hole.....grrrrr...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a brand new right angle drill, never used it yet, Wanta borrow it? Nasty weather over this way, kinda rain and snow, comes and goes. :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well at least you found out why things would not fit. Problem mystery solved and new problem to modify.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well got my tiny tach meter. Came with all three sizes of clamp and a strobe gun. It even works not bad for $80. The probe on mine measured .310" and it fits fine.

What switch setting do you use as far as the leading and trailing switch?