Timing issue on a 7.3 IDI

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This is one part that nobody can give you advice on. It's totally up to you since you drive the truck. I'm glad to see that you're getting it close to where you want it.

Snowturtle

Reaction score
Is anyone still looking at this thread? Even though it is better, I'm still having troubles. My EGT's still spike too high when I go uphill or tow a load. I have the pump timing set and the fuel backed off to where it has noticeably less power. It still gets high and I still end up in 2nd or 3rd gear going up the hill. Boost is good I think, tops out around 7. What else can I look into? Do I need to accept that my 220,000 mile engine may be tired? The shop that worked on it for me a year ago said that it had good compression on all cylinders but they never told me what it was and now doesn't know because they didn't write it down (They can't even tell me exactly what all they did, all they had to go on was a parts list. No need for anyone to go to 23 Diesel in Grand Junction, CO). The IP and injectors have about 75k on them. I looked at a used newer Dodge and briefly thought about selling all of my cars and just buying one newer truck but in the end decided I can't part with this truck. For the cost of that truck I can buy a lot of parts for this one! Including a new long block, if necessary. Is it time to think about a new motor with a new IP and injectors? Turbo and exhaust are new.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Your engine could be tired, but that won't cause high EGTs. A compression test will only tell you how much compression each cylinder has, but it can't tell you why a certain cylinder (or cylinders) have lower compression (not saying that you have low compression). It can't tell you why the compression is low. It could be rings, cylinder wear, or valves not sealing to name some reasons. As for a new engine, that's your decision, but yours doesn't sound like it's worn out to me. You didn't mention excessive oil usage and it still runs fine. I believe that you have a completely factory set up on your turbo. You said that you were getting 6-7 PSI toward the beginning and you're still getting 7 PSI after backing the fuel off so I think that you shouldn't back the fuel off any farther or you'll just lose more power. Since you didn't mention an intercooler, I'll assume that you don't have one. I'm thinking that it may be time to look into one of those. A cold air intake of some kind may also be a good thing to consider. The factory air cleaner is known to be restrictive and that could lead to higher EGTs as well. Since your pump and injectors have 75,000 on them, you still have a decent amount of life left in them so I wouldn't be thinking about replacing them yet. Your reasoning behind not buying a new Dodge or any other truck is what I really love about these old trucks. For the cost of a new truck, you can buy three of these and still have a lot of money left for fixing things.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
High egt's can be caused by a restricted intake and/or exhaust too. Just food for thought.

Snowturtle

Reaction score
Thanks! The turbo and 4" exhaust are new so I think they are flowing fine. I have no muffler, should I consider one? I don't really believe that is an issue because this problem started with my old stock exhaust. I will look into a cold air intake and intercooler - any suggestions for good ones that I can install myself (I'm pretty competent but not a professional mechanic)

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Exhaust doesn't sound like an issue. Muffler would just be for noise surpressant. If it doesn't bother you, leave it alone.
Classic diesel designs sells a nice cold air intake kit, it's a 4" tube that goes to a monster air filter. It is only for serpentine belt setups, or non a/c v belts. They also sell a charge air cooler kit too.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have no muffler, should I consider one?

Exhaust doesn't sound like an issue. Muffler would just be for noise surpressant. If it doesn't bother you, leave it alone.
I would normally agree, but since Snowturtle is in Colorado, I would first check what he needs to do to comply with the local laws.
It is only for serpentine belt setups,
Since he has a 1993, there's no issues here.
As far as intercoolers go, there's kits that you can buy. You can buy one for a later 7.3PSD or a 6.0PSD and mount it. I bought a universal intercooler from CBX Racing (I think) and a universal intercooler piping kit to install mine. Since I haven't installed it yet, I can't say how well it works or how easy it was to install.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You bring up a good point about local laws. I just run a muffler normally because I prefer a quieter exhaust.
I also don't like assuming what setup people have, I mean look at Jesus Freak, running a idit in his old rig

Snowturtle

Reaction score
The shop that did my turbo and exhaust while looking for my EGT problem suggested the straight pipe for the best flow. The way I drive it's not really an issue. I like the sound but still might add something to tone it down a bit once I get the EGT problem dealt with. I haven't been pulled over yet...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin