Timing issue on a 7.3 IDI

mrmatthewhenning

Reaction score
So I’m a bit lost. Trying to set the timing on 7.3 idi. Have a ferret adaptor and timing light. My digital snap on timing light is adjustable from 0-90. If I’m supposed to set timing to 7 BTDC should I set my timing light to -7? Or am I just looking at this wrong. I tried today to set it to 7 because my timing light dose not go negative. Running sounds close. I just think that that is advanced 7 degrees and that would put my timing out by 14 degrees.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
So I’m a bit lost. Trying to set the timing on 7.3 idi. Have a ferret adaptor and timing light. My digital snap on timing light is adjustable from 0-90. If I’m supposed to set timing to 7 BTDC should I set my timing light to -7? Or am I just looking at this wrong. I tried today to set it to 7 because my timing light dose not go negative. Running sounds close. I just think that that is advanced 7 degrees and that would put my timing out by 14 degrees.
Ok first just in case you have not read, you set the timing to 8.5* btdc at 2000 rpm. (Not 7.). Many have suggested they prefer 9.5* btdc. You use the #1 cylinder which is the passenger side closest to the radiator.

The reason you use the timing advance on the timing light is because unlike a gasser, these do not have several notches in the timing gear cover, including one for 8.5*. It only has a mark for TDC. So when you advance your light to 8.5* (Delay the flash after an injector pulse.) and then time the IP with the timing mark on the damper set visibly at TDC. You have actually have set the timing to 8.5*. (The timing light got a pulse at 8.5* btdc. Then delayed it 8.5* so now it flashed at TDC.)

So you can set the timing light at 8.5* and test your timing at 2000rpm. If your timing is not on you can advance or retard the light with the buttons till you are at TDC. Then subtract the number of degrees you where off from 8.5 and that is how many degrees you need to move the IP. Then move the IP and re-test, move the IP and re-test, till you get the timing mark to TDC with you advance set at 8.5*. (or 9.5*.) As I recall moving the IP towards the passenger fender advances it.(Injects and fires earlier.)

Do not set the IP timing with then engine running.

Loosen the injector lines if you need to move the IP more than 2-3*.

As I recall the red light on the Ferret will flash if it is getting a pulse reading from the injector line. You may have to flip your timing light clamp around if it is not getting a pulse from the Ferret box timing loop.

Many have not seen the Ferret pulse reader or a Snap On light with advance. So attach some pics to this thread for folks to see.

Snowturtle

Reaction score
I have been looking for info on timing adapters and maybe this post answers it. It sounds like one of these adapters is adequate for me to check and set my timing myself? I recently had a bunch of work done to my truck (first time I have had anyone other than me work on it!) and part of my reasoning was so they could check my fuel metering and injection timing. I also needed a new turbo and custom exhaust work. I had EGT and boost problems. Although they are much better now, I still have to back off a lot going uphill or pulling a load to keep the EGT safe. And I still get more black smoke than I want on acceleration (I hate turning people against diesel power). I don't believe they actually touched my IP. Back to the only western Colorado mechanic I trust - me. Can I adequately use one of these adapters to check/set the timing myself and can I get the fuel metering right through trial and error? Or does anyone know a good injection shop in Colorado that I can go to?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Snowturtle,

1) I do not know any shops to recommend in CO. Perhaps others can.
2) Yes you can with a few different style timing devices (Sense the pulse of the injector and create a pulse for a timing light.) and a good timing light with advance. (Our trucks only have one timing mark at TDC.) You can set your own timing effectively. Many have been buying the tech time from a guy on eBay for $200-230. A used Ferret (Went out of business.) or new Gunson will also work. Let us know what you are looking at and we can help you decide and then tell you how to use it. Also how to modify a wrench to help out.
3) Timing does effect your engine temp especially when towing. Once your timing is on you can try backing off your IP fuel setting to get your egt’s where you want them.
4) Hopefully your boost is also working correctly now. That can cause issues if going to high. I will let those with turbo’s advise you On boost peaks.

let’s us know and attach some pics.

Snowturtle

Reaction score
Thanks! My boost was very low and is running around 6-7 now so that seems right. I already have the right wrenches for the IP from when I replaced that a few years ago. Even after a few years of asking around I have not been able to find someone willing or able to help me with timing. If they can't plug it into a computer they don't want to touch it! I just did it by ear and have been running it. Something changed in the last year and I hoped that fixing my never ending exhaust slip-joint issue would solve it. The whole new exhaust behind a new turbo helped a lot but not completely. My compressions are good so I feel good about the motor. I'll order a timing adapter and see what I can do. Thanks for the input!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Post here when you get it. We can walk you through how to time your engine. It is not that difficult once someone walks you through it.

Snowturtle

Reaction score
Thanks, I will. It will probably be after the holidays since I need to spend money on others right now.

Snowturtle

Reaction score
Big Bart, are you around? I finally got all the equipment I needed and just checked my timing. It looks like I'm currently set at 6 degrees at 2000 rpm. Which way should I turn the pump and how far do I move it to go the 2 degrees? To confirm, the mark on the plate is next to the short tube near the bottom of the plate, marked with a 0, correct?

Snowturtle

Reaction score
Wait, I just looked back and you answered this already! I'll bump it toward the passenger side and check again

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many have not seen the Ferret pulse reader or a Snap On light with advance. So attach some pics to this thread for folks to see.
Hey, I know you're the IDI timing go to guy, so is there any advantage to these pulse reader things like the ferret as compared to the timing device left over from the Gulf war(time tech 3300)? Their prices are about the same on ebay and Amazon, I'll be investing soon and was curious of your opinion. I didn't know about this pulse thing until I saw this thread.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I maty be wrong on this, but I'll give it a shot. The advantage of the TT3300 is that you can buy it and set your timing. With a Ferret, you'll still need to buy an adjustable timing light. For me, the advantage is that this is the exact set up we had at the shop I used to work at so it's familiar to me.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I maty be wrong on this, but I'll give it a shot. The advantage of the TT3300 is that you can buy it and set your timing. With a Ferret, you'll still need to buy an adjustable timing light. For me, the advantage is that this is the exact set up we had at the shop I used to work at so it's familiar to me.
As a guy who already works on his own stuff anyway, I got a timing light with an advance. So I didn't know if there wasn't some bell or whistle that wasn't obvious.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Snowturtle,

1) Turn the top of the IP towards passenger side fender to advance or towards the drivers side to retard. You want to move it slightly towards the passenger fender to get to 8.5*.

2) Your light can only “advance“ because it can only delay when the stobe light flashes after it senses a pulse in the pickup clamp. It is incapable of predicting when a pulse/signal would happen and then retard the flash and make it come even earlier. It cannot predict an event (Show a retarded timing) it only can respond to an event and delay a flash after the event.(Advance the timing strobe.) The reason you have to have the advance feature and use a 8.5 degrees (Some like 9.5* and IP rebuilders might suggest something else for their pump.) is our timing tab only shows TDC. There is no 8.5* mark to line up with. Advancing the light to 8.5* let’s you line up the timing mark on the damper with the first (There are two holes you want the one on the Left) timing mark/hole on the timing tab. Line up the damper mark to the middle of the first hole on the the tab. You can use the outside of the hole you do not need to look down the middle of then hole. I am sure you already figured most of this out but want future readers to get the whole picture.

3) Your Ferret will work fine for timing these IDI’s. More members would have bought these but Ferret went BK back around 2009. They were about half the cost of a new DTI from DTI. (~$400) Gunson and Bluepoint (Snap On) still make this style of timing device today.

Some tips, if the red led flashes with the engine on the Ferret has a signal. If the timing gun does not get a signal or it’s intermittent flip the timing guns pick up clamp the other way. This generally fixes it. Some lights do not do well with these pulse cables like a Ferret and bars like on a DTI. So future members be aware you may have to try another light. Snowturtle and I have Snap On lights so far they seem to work with pulse wires and bars on these meters.

4) IDIBronco that is correct. Ferret, Gunson, and Bluepoint pulse readers are a 1/2 solution. It has the injector line piezo sensor and is a timing light pulse generator. They require an additional gasser timing light with advance feature. The offer a wire ring or metal bar that will give a timing light hookup a place to get what it thinks is a spark plug wire pulse. Back in the 80’s and 90’s 99% of mechanics owned a timing light so these style meters were just fine and saved money. Emissions standards, ECU’s, crank sensors, cam sensors, cam timing device's, coil packs, and computer controlled timing have now in many ways made a timing light a pretty useless tool for modern cars. (Computer controls the timing, nothing to set or adjust, and often no distributor to adjust..) Thus many new techs don’t bother with one.

Snowturtle here is a tech article I wrote you may want to read. Look down further in the thread as it has a link to a thread talking about custom wrenches to help loosen an IP. But sounds like you may have figured it out.

Post any other questions and someone will chime in.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Back in the 80’s and 90’s 99% of mechanics owned a timing light so these style meters were just fine and saved money. Emissions standards, ECU’s, crank sensors, cam sensors, cam timing device's, coil packs, and computer controlled timing have now in many ways made a timing light a pretty useless tool for modern cars. (Computer controls the timing, nothing to set or adjust, and often no distributor to adjust..) Thus many new techs don’t bother with one.
PFFT! I still have my Auto Zone special timing light that I bought back in the early 2000's. It's not going anywhere. I'll also bet that I'm not the only one on here who can say that they have a dwell meter too. That's right, Google those, young pups!:joker:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online