Timing Help?

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Timing Help also Blowby

Since I've had the truck, white smoke has always come out of the exhaust.

I know it's unburned diesel by the smell.

The truck most likely has 166xxx on it (odo rolled over).

I know it could be the injectors or a retarted timing, or some other possible things.

Anyway, I was wondering if I should see if I could get rid of the white smoke by advancing the timing a little bit.

If so, how much do I advance it?

Some advice would be nice.

Thanks!

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Can you tell us how many miles are on the injection pump and injectors? If you want to advance the timing please make a mark with a center punch in the joint line where the pump meets the housing its bolted to. That way you can return the pump if it runs worse after moving it and you actually see how much the pump was moved. To advance the timing the pump must be moved towards the passenger side fender. Move it about 1/16 inch for starters.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Can you tell us how many miles are on the injection pump and injectors? If you want to advance the timing please make a mark with a center punch in the joint line where the pump meets the housing its bolted to. That way you can return the pump if it runs worse after moving it and you actually see how much the pump was moved. To advance the timing the pump must be moved towards the passenger side fender. Move it about 1/16 inch for starters.

It appears to me that the pump and injectors are the originals.

The ODO reads 66,380 which I would say is 166,380, as this was the PO's farm truck.

Should I be worried about that blowby?

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score

Also, would I follow this guide?

http://www.dieselhub.com/performance/idi-injection-pump.html

Where would I make a punch?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try looking up the numerous timing threads it will save ya some time.
You'r due for ip and inj.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I "think" not sure where I saw it! May have been one of the guru's here, blowby at idle looks like a coffey pot perking.
Now many younguns never seen one in action,,,,, a light haze easily dispersed with a decent " blow out the candel(1)"
Not an 80 yr old firestorm.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
I "think" not sure where I saw it! May have been one of the guru's here, blowby at idle looks like a coffey pot perking.
Now many younguns never seen one in action,,,,, a light haze easily dispersed with a decent " blow out the candel(1)"

Right. I know for sure I saw it, it dissipated when I upped the RPM's. I read somewhere about cleaning/changing the CDR valve.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep
I did the cdr test /cleaning mel put in the stickies ,,,on the 88 with the banks conversion ( lousey *** design) did little for blow by...helped with intake oiling. The second vid looks ok....

Last edited:

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Yep
I did the cdr test /cleaning mel put in the stickies ,,,on the 88 with the banks conversion ( lousey *** design) did little for blow by... Brb
Interesting. I appreciate the help.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do an advanced search here and select titles only and use tech 101 as your key words

Place my username in the username section....find some of my timing threads which if i recall have links to my other timing threads

Also.... timing marks and my usernam in advanced search will bring up some threads...again titles only...read read read...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ good lead.
Google search + oilburnners and your querry.
Or google search and your querry,,,brings up some of ours and some other sites.