Timing Do-Dad / Thingamajig

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Dennis, my old timing light (last used to set the timing on my F-100 and Maverick LOL ) has no offset adjustment. However, I'd think it could still be used if one knew where the mark was supposed to be when the timing is set right. It may be off the scale, but it might be possible to fab something up for it to point to. 93 sounds like he's going to do the same test, so we shall see what his results are.

Most hot rod shops sell a self adhesive degree tape to fit around a balancer for crazy off the chart timing. If there's one big enough to fit around the balancer on these beasts, you could do it with your timing light.

-----Robert

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
i don't have either one so it is off to the local diesel shop for timing? i called them today and asked the price.

me.. I've got an 87 6.9 i need to check the timing on, what is it going to cost?..
them... it will be between $100 and $10000!
me.. I'll take the $100 job then
them... shop rate is $70/hr and it shouldn't take more than 2 hrs, why do you think it needs it?
me.. ok, i reworked the top end and want to get it checked to make sure it is right.
them.. not to knock you wrenching skills but it might take longer than 2 hrs.
me.. i don't know I've got more than 5k miles on it since i did the work so i think i did a good job, i just want to get the best out of the truck.
them.. well then i don see it going more than two hours, when do you need it done?
me.. i'll have to call ya back and set up a time..

so is that a fair price? $140 to time my truck?

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
I might have a straight timing light, I don’t have one with a degree offset for sure. I’ll see if I can get those also. I doubt if I’ll have time to change mine (if it needs it?) but I’ll at least try to get correlating numbers.

I haven’t looked at the area (other than to clean out the hole) where the magnetic probe goes down by the damper pulley; does it have a mark or pointer on it? If so maybe I can get some of that timing tape as fore mentioned and figure out how far and to what side a mark need to be placed? I’m almost thinking it should be 20 degrees or 340? What’s the diameter of the damper pulley, I’ll need to know so I can get the right tape. I can’t get to my truck right now and I’d like to pick up the tape on the way home so if someone could help out with this I’d appreciate it…

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
i don't have either one so it is off to the local diesel shop for timing? i called them today and asked the price.

me.. I've got an 87 6.9 i need to check the timing on, what is it going to cost?..
them... it will be between $100 and $10000!
me.. I'll take the $100 job then
them... shop rate is $70/hr and it shouldn't take more than 2 hrs, why do you think it needs it?
me.. ok, i reworked the top end and want to get it checked to make sure it is right.
them.. not to knock you wrenching skills but it might take longer than 2 hrs.
me.. i don't know I've got more than 5k miles on it since i did the work so i think i did a good job, i just want to get the best out of the truck.
them.. well then i don see it going more than two hours, when do you need it done?
me.. i'll have to call ya back and set up a time..

The first shop I called said I was not going to get much power out of my truck no matter what I did. I said yeah that is true, but then I am not looking for more power than it is capable of. I only want it to perform like it should.

The second shop I called is one I baught injectors from a year or so ago. He said about 2 hours. Could be 150 - 200 and he does them by ear. I know what some think of that and I have my own thoughts on it. That cost included playing with the fuel screw. Now if I can just get my pyro to work...

Good luck,

Calvin

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, it is possible to have a timing job take more than 2 hours. A lot more. You wouldn't think it, but the issue is the crank probe port. If it gets gunked up, or rusty, or God forbid is both, AND it has come loose in it's mount, then you can spend a really LONG time just getting the truck to the point where you can time it. Now, if you take a 5/16" drill bit, and you can stick the blunt end in the port until it hits the damper, then you've got nothing to worry about. For a stock NA engine, max amount of time should be about 20 minutes. I personally have spent over 2 hours just trying to get somebody's port cleaned, and as Tanya (our official hole cleaning girl) at the last rally can attest, it's not easy to do. If the engine has an old style banks, or any other turbo or intake hardware hanging over the IP, it will add to the time to do the job.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score

The last time I had a shop do mine it was about $130 so that sounds about right. Makes you want to get your own meter off ebay doesn't it? Two or three times to the shop and you could pay for a used meter.

Tom

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a Snap On Mt480 with the MT160, magnetic pickup, and manual off ebay for $50 BIN. I dare say that I would not take it to the shop as I have seen 3 of these on ebay in the last week alone.

Now I just have to figure out how to use it correctly:eek:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online