Timing by ear

82fordtruck

Reaction score
What has to be done to time by ear? Is it just an experience thing? My mileage went way downhill lately, and I think my timing retarded a LOT. I ran out one tank and cranked a lot on it. Maybe I damaged my pump?

I had it timed last year about this time, but put probably 25k on it since then. I don't really want to spend the money having this timed if my pump is bad, and I don't want to replace my pump if I don't need to, but want my power and mileage back!!

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Me and another member timed his truck 'by ear.' I don't know how close we got it, but at the IDI weekend in July he hooked up to Mel's timing meter. Maybe Mel could tell you how talented we were or weren't :D It does have some to do with knowing what to listen for, but you also have to have it at 2000 rpm (or 1400) which is hard to guess without a tach. STands to reason doing by ear should be this way also.
James

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, timing by ear is not done at a certain RPM. Myself, I do it using a combination of things. Reving is one way, and maintaining a certain speed that exhibits the characteristics I'm looking for is another. Also, if it is a manual trans, the feel at idle when I let off the clutch. All contribute to my "timing by ear stew". Currently the Moosestang has been timed by ear. When I throw a set of fresh injectors in it, I'll bother to hook up the meter.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Actually, timing by ear is not done at a certain RPM. Myself, I do it using a combination of things. Reving is one way, and maintaining a certain speed that exhibits the characteristics I'm looking for is another. Also, if it is a manual trans, the feel at idle when I let off the clutch. All contribute to my "timing by ear stew". Currently the Moosestang has been timed by ear. When I throw a set of fresh injectors in it, I'll bother to hook up the meter.

Gotta add in too what does the exhaust look like (lots of blue smoke)on start up and how easy did it start. How loud does it sound when from a cold start? Sewing machine with an attitude as Mel would say. cookoo Or quiet like a Dura????
Myself a newb to the IDI then did the IP change and got VERY lucky and was dead on. :idiot:
Couldn't do it again if'n I tried. Thank goodness I could get Mel away from the pool, and that red swimsuit :puke: covered by them there coveralls, long enought to hook Goldie up to the meter and Bam right on. ;Sweet
Learned alot from these guys in a short time. ;Sweet

82fordtruck

Reaction score
well, yesterday I got impatient and called the IP rebuild guys outta TOpeka.

He sais that I should change my filters, because if I bring it to him with old filters, he'll do them anyway. The air filter had crowned about an inch in the middle, and was filled with crap.

Presumably, the suction pulled it up in the middle. Maybe this was overdue. I have coolant filter and fuel filter on order as well.

BTW - I have an extra wix fuel filter still in the box, and switched to the baldwin style filter because I had a problem with that head that goes onto the bottom of the filter. I can't use this one anymore, or return it. Anybody want to make me an offer on this thing? Or, does anyone have an extra fuel filter head?

ramon f350

Reaction score
I can almost bet after you change your air filter you will see an increase in your mileage your truck was being suffocated :eek:

Ramon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.