Timing and blue smoke

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello can anyone tell me why my truck always pumps blue smoke from the pipes at idle? I have richened the IP a little and that helped but it still does it. I read that the engine pushing just a little blue would be caused by retarded timing. My truck runs very quite so I think it is retarded. If that could be a cause which way do I turn the pump to advance it? All the help I can get would be great. Thanks and I really dig your forum.;Sweet

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rotating it towards the passenger side advances the timing... but to do it right you really need a timing meter. Tell where you live maybe some close to you has a meter and can set the timing for you.

Headerpower

Reaction score
Turn the IP towards the passanger side. each .015 is about 1 degree of timing. I just got a timing meter, and I found that if you get the power stroke rattle when you start out driving with the cold advance on, then the rattle goes away after the cold advance turns off, you are just over 8.5* BTDC with the pulse timing method. With the meter mine is at 8.3* and the rattle with cold advance on is almost not noticeable.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
rotating it towards the passenger side advances the timing... but to do it right you really need a timing meter. Tell where you live maybe some close to you has a meter and can set the timing for you.
who has one in NC i need to get mine timed???

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it may be a bit retarded but bad injectors could cause blue smoke too..

h2odrx - I don't have one and unfortunatly don't know who does.

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I think the injectors have about 147000 miles on them so I think it is time. I am located about an hour outside of denver colorado if you know any one with hints on the timing thing. I would like to get a timing tool for my self if you guys know where to start that would help. Once again to the rescue you guys are loads of help and thanks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a good look at the Moose Truck picture in my rolling avatar to the left. That blue smoke you see is courtesy of 3 leaky injectors. :rolleyes: I replaced those with DPS stage 1's, and the blue smoke at idle went away. Injectors more than timing, is your smokey issue. Go the extra mile and throw a new IP on while your changing those injectors. The renewed performance will be well worth it. ;Sweet

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I know the IP is freshly rebuilt but those injectors dont look so new. I never knew that the injectors could cause that blue smoke blues. I will jump striaght on replacing them and really apreciate the help. Godd luck to all.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks guys I think the injectors have about 147000 miles on them so I think it is time. I am located about an hour outside of denver colorado if you know any one with hints on the timing thing. I would like to get a timing tool for my self if you guys know where to start that would help. Once again to the rescue you guys are loads of help and thanks.

I picked up one of these critters last week , A Ferret
Handy little contraption, use it with an advance type induction timing light and time it just like a gas burner.

--------Robert