timed the truck today

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i finaly received my timing meter. i got out there and set the timing on my truck but im not sure that its where it needs to be. this is where i have it as of now.

3.5btdc @ 700rpms
2.0atdc @ 1400rpms
3.5atdc @ 2000rpms

now as i can understand that the timing on my truck should be at these specs.

1.0btdc @ 700rpms
2.0atdc @ 1400rpms
3.5atdc @ 2000rpms

now how come the degrees at idle are so far off of wack? i thought that if you set it at idle(700rpm) at 1.0 degrees btdc, when you ran it up to 2000rpms it should be around the 3.5 atdc degree. am i wrong on this and if so could someone please explain. and what would cause the difference in timing specs between the two? :dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry its supposed to retard as the throttle is mashed further and further. The reason being, it can be very far advanced at idle or at low RPM without a load and nothing will be hurt. If you put a load on it, or advance the throttle the same timing could hurt the engine. How does it run at that spec?

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry its supposed to retard as the throttle is mashed further and further. The reason being, it can be very far advanced at idle or at low RPM without a load and nothing will be hurt. If you put a load on it, or advance the throttle the same timing could hurt the engine. How does it run at that spec?
diesel dj its not smoking at all anymore so thats a good thing, the only smoke i get is when you hammer down on it you see a puff of black smoke and its very faint. now as far as power goes ive set it by ear and had more of a seat of the pants kind of feel but it smoked like crazy when gassing on it and at idle.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought so. You can get more power(not much but seat of the pants noticeable) by advancing the timing, but its a destructive power, so I'd just be happy with it for now. Now you have a happy engine and a turbo pump so...you need a turbo!

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes id love to put a turbo on here, but with 244,000 miles and no studs i dont think it would last long. as long as it will pull my 32ft travel trailer at or about 55mph ill be happy with that. the reason i say that is i pulled a mini excavator on a utility trailer and couldn't keep it at 55mph (petal to the floor). well i have to say yesturday i took it to the tallest bridge we have to see how i could top it and the first time i went across it did good, but the second time it was me and a little car full of young kids and we started off and i had him by 1 1/2 cars when we reached the top so its doing alot better.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep the right timing helps a lot. I'd say a turbo won't kill a 244,000 mile engine but the ehad gaskets would need replacement if they haven't been refreshed in the last 30,000-50,000 miles. The headbolts are ok as long as they are in good shape and not too stretched, and you don't boost more than about 12-13psi. Beyond that you really should have studs especially on a 6.9 since we have those 7/16" bolts. Darrin was pushing 15psi for years on a non turbo model 7.3 with propane but finally blew a head gasket last summer. At least it gave him the excuse he needed to make Big Ed a Ford/Cummins truck. But I digress, 12-13 seems to be the safe limit for factory head bolts and updated gaskets. I can tell you even the 1-3 psi I normally see makes a TREMENDOUS difference over N/A.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes theres a set of fresh head gaskets on it. i did a top end gasket probly not even 6 months ago, i dought it even has 1000miles on it since i did it. i dont drive the truck much as of now until i get all the bugs worked out of it, want all the gremlins out before i hook up to the travel trailer first plus i have some brake issues. i think i have a vacumn pump that pumps one minute and dont the next. if you hit the brakes one time and let up and try and hit it again there hard, you have to use alot of force to get it to stop.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah vaccum pump is starting to die. Isn't it a good thing they aren't very expensive? The aftermarket ones especially don't seem to make it much more than 2-3 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7