Time for open air element...

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Time for open air element...need intake hat!

Ok...I think I finally crushed the banks k&n to the point of not sealing. So it's time to junk the black box and go with an open air filter. Problem is the newer design has the intake hat casted into the filter housing. This is the biggest PITA since you have to line up the air in/air out hoses while tucking the big openning on the intake manifold. Anyway....I won't have an intake hat like the old style banks so what can I use? I think Mel mentioned the Hypermax will fit old non-waste banks? If so what's the part number and where can I order/buy one? Dare I ask how much?

I think I found the elbow and tubing to do the job. Is a 3" tube going to be enough? Also found a filter that flows at 900cfm...is that enough? I plan to put a filter minder on anyway to see if there is much restriction...new and as it gets dirty. Thanks!

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Here's my solution. I took out the K&N filter, tapped the drain hole in the bottom of the housing with a 1/8th pipe plug. Relocated the windshield washer bottle. and added an open air filter. The only thing you need is the filter, a pipe plug, and a piece of tubing to fit the filter, and the air intake tubing. If you decide to sell your air box let me know. I've been looking for a spare. Russ

Attachments

• air filter mod.jpg
    air filter mod.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 32

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Not bad...where do you get a filter like that? That looks like a very good solution vs the $$$ banks wants for a new k&n. My main reason for wanting to replace this is to get rid of hassle of installing the box while lining up the three openings. I might just swap it out for the two piece on my other truck...then I can use that intake hat with an open air filter. Problem is even that is bulky. If the h-max hat is clean and compact...then I want that one.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They Hypermax hat will work, but I don't think anybody has bought one yet. A bit salty$! I don't recall the exact amount, but I think I heard $200 to $300 range. Rob on the other hand, cast his own. Maybe he'd make you one for less. :Sly

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I can't remember the part number of the filter, I just go though the boxes until I find the right one.(It's normally th biggest box on the shelf.The only down fall is there is no way of putting a clamp on the filter. It has a hole, but no lip to put a clamp on, but it still seals very well. I ended up using a coffee can with both ends cut out for a connector(hey it works).

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Salty indeed! :backoff I guess that is motivation to take the two piece off my other truck before I sell it. Then I can run the clunky banks hat untill I find something better/more reasonable.

Now about the cfm requirement. Anybody know what these engines pull? 900 seems like enough...but maybe with the stuffer I would need more yet? I can get all the parts for $60 if that is enough flow.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
They Hypermax hat will work, but I don't think anybody has bought one yet. A bit salty$! I don't recall the exact amount, but I think I heard $200 to $300 range. Rob on the other hand, cast his own. Maybe he'd make you one for less. :Sly

I bought one, about 225 plus shipping (sucker).. Oh well.. Scotty