time for IP and injectors? gutless..

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did a tow lastnight with the van...

got 9psi boost (and got out of it!!..dont wanna blow the heads!)...and 935egt....doin 55 up a pretty good grade...on the floor!! and barely holdin 55...barely...

wife was following me..said it wasnt smokin bad at all...

best guess is I was draggin LESS than 5k...trailer weighs nothin..and my sploder is GUTTED out (read nothin but frame and outside skins..inside gutted like nascar body)...

time for an IP?? its got 144K.....got a receipt for IP at 75K..but nothin for injectors...

waday think?

EDIT EDIT EDIT!!!!!!

towd the explorer to the new house yesterday...I got problems!!

on one hill (long and sorta steep...but not THAT BAD...I got 10psi of boost..and the EGT'***** 1050....floored...and the temp rose from 200 to 230....

and thru driving it the last 10 miles...my temp rose to 240....and didnt really cool off till I turned on the inside heater...and it came back to 220 drivin the country roads.....I get into town on the freeway and its doin 220 and ok on the EGT's (550+-50)...and get off the highway and it goes back to 240...so I turn on the heater...drops...get in stop and go traffic for a bit...and it goes back to 250!...

could I be running too lean and causing the engine temp to heat up?? I dont see much white smoke...and I attribute it to the CDR mod that dumps into the exhaust...

oh..and remember fellas...my IP fuel screw is stripped...I cant get it to turn up..but now that I FINNALY HAVE A GARAGE again...I can work on it...unfortunatly the van is too tall to fit into it...dammit!

Last edited:

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think if the injectors were bad you would be getting lots of smoke with no power, it sounds like you are just not getting the fuel there, have you checked you supply pump to make sure it is putting out enough pressure and volume?

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russel's (90 f250) got over 400k w/original injectors. I know they' re bad cause I pulled a couple of them and pop tested them, they don't drip much, but they popped at about 200psi.
That being said, that truck has never smoked. Not even a little, loaded or not, a puff at start-up but that's it. Power is low, and I've got a new set on the shelf.
I guess where I'm getting at is that you shouldn't let the fact that there is no smoke throw you off.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to run up to 12lbs before you need to get out of it. If your EGTs are 900ish you have some more room to turn up the fuel (especially if the smoke wasn't bad). You can run 1150 all day long without hurting anything (no higher though). Injectors might be a good idea with that many miles, which would require timing it after(which would be good too). Other than that, maybe pulling 55 with 5klbs isn't that bad. My truck is down to 30mph in second on a 2 mile 7% grade pulling 10k.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on where the pyro probe is. That 1250 number is only valid if your pyro is spot on and is mounted before the turbo. If it's post turbo the maximum EGT is 950 at the very most. The 1250 is really for either directly in the maifold or in the up pipe not more than 8" back. ATS uses a factory port in the up pipe right before the turbo and I know there is some heat loss between there and the manifold and ATS says that the max there is 1050.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try turning up your existing IP, and getting the timing set on it. Pumps reduce fuel flow and retard timing as they wear. You can compensate some by turning it up and advancing the pump to where it should be.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being too lean in a diesel doesn't cause high temps , you are thinking of a gas engine, sounds like you might have cooling system issues, you might need a good flush and then a new thermostat or possibly a radiator.