time for a clutch....

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
OK after 129k of pulling a lot of weight my clutch is finally starting to slip a little... looking for ideas for replacements that would work better than oe. I found a stage 3 ceramic set with flywheel for what they claim will fit my truck but it says with minor mods... its a 12.25 in clutch set from pheniox friction and stated will fit 93-94 idi.... is there a difference or something I need to look for since mine is out of an 88

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sounds like one hell of a clutch.. what's the price tag on it? and to my knowledge there should be nothing different between a 88 and a 93

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
South Bend clutch... only ones who make a 13" idi clutch that I know of

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do we have to pull the seats and carpet to get the trans out?

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not the seat, pull the kicks an roll the carpet on to the seat. the you can pull the plate an have acces from the top, 2 about 8-12in treaded rod will help aline the tranny back up

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have a link to that phoenix clutch? that sounds like one hell of a deal! thanks

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I would shy away from the stage 3 ceramic clutch. Ceramic or Feramic material is going to be very aggressive when it comes to smooth engagement. I had a single disc in my 6.0L truck ( ceramic on both sides) and it chattered pretty good when trying to back up a trailer... It was a south bend built by peter himself. To the point I used 4 low alot. I just bought this clutch from fort wayne for the 94 I'm building.... 07-131 is the part number for $380 on ebay vs $457 on their website... Only company I've found to put 10 springs on the disc, vs 4 or 5, so transmission gear roller over should be at a minimum... The DMF and valeo were fine with only 70,000 miles on it but I'm going to run a bigger pump and injectors so I didn't figure the stock one would hold... Believe this one is 12 1/4" diameter... Going to try some royal purple synchromech in the trans instead of mercon or amsoil.... You do not have to remove any carpet or bs to remove the trans either... Take the shifter off, then take the shifter base off.... nothing else. Here's a picture to show you what they look like

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online